Logo

Production year amp more help on 40 HP Mercury

river_lizard

"The vin # OG036267 could some

"The vin # OG036267 could someone please identify for me what year it is? 1993 or 1994?

Local dealer said it needed $1600.00 worth of work.
blush.gif

New Oil sensor
Carbs rebuilt
Water pump
Anyone know the part numbers for these items? I'd considering doing the work myself since I can't afford to fork out 1600.00 for the work and I'd like to get this boat I purchased on the water soon.
Thanks,
River Lizard"

"http://www.usboatsupply.com/M

"http://www.usboatsupply.com/Mercury_Mercruiser_Parts_Catalog3a.php?mc=01

diagram for parts, you can get those parts here or at any dealer, just dont go back to that shop.
water pump $20 and 1hr
buy a manual, well worth the money"

"Well after doing some checkin

"Well after doing some checking on a manual (after the fact) I guess I purchased the wrong one (Mercury/Mariner Outboard All Engines 1990-2000 (Seloc Marine Manuals). This did get very good reviews by buyers. Would a MERCURY MARINER TECH. HANDBOOK 1993 be better? Is there any difference between a 1993 and a 1994 40 HP 4 cylinder?
Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the boat dealer I went to with it JB, I thought it seemed a little high.

Here's a little history on this boat: It's been sitting since early 2003, but PO said he had it winterized before he parked it in the back yard. The boat itself is spotless (Fisher Hawk 3V) and the motor didn't have many hours on it and it shows, it's spotless too (inside and out). I picked up the package with trailer for 1500.00. Here's a photo of it (if this works)
80301.jpg
fisher hawk 3V

"nice find on the boat. yes ge

"nice find on the boat. yes get the merc manual, better info. we change the water pump every 2 years no matter how many hours are on it. The carbs get done when a boat sits for more than a year, this must be done because no fuel or restricted flow in a carb means no oil to those cyl's. Anyway a couple hours work and you'll be good to go. Change the gear oil also."

"JB,

Thanks for the added i

"JB,

Thanks for the added information. I was wondering, is there a way to check to make sure the oil injectors are working correctly? They (dealer) stated that the "Oil Module" was bad. I'm guessing that they meant the "Oil Alarm" was bad, since I noticed that they had it pulled from under the dash and had put new connections on it. If I turn the key on, the alarm is sounding. I can take a photo of it and post it if you need a shot of it to know what I am talking about.
Thanks,

Jeff"

"find the wire on the engine t

"find the wire on the engine that hooks to the oil sender and the one that hooks to the temp sender, disconect both, turn key on and see if horn is still sounding. find which sensor is bad, or see if the horn assy is bad. often the magnet which is glued on the oil float falls off, remove, clean, and re-attach."

"JB,

Thanks again! As soon

"JB,

Thanks again! As soon as I get the manuals (mail) I'll try what you suggested.
Once I replace the water pump and carb kits, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to mix gas/oil in a can and hook it up before trying to crank over the engine, so I can assure that the engine is getting the correct fuel/oil mixture? Reason being, I worry that if I attempt to crank the engine and there's something wrong with the oil injection system, that I could damage the cylinders. Someone I work with told me to just by-pass the oil injection system and pre-mix the fuel/oil in the fuel tank. What's your thought on this? Myself, I'd rather not modify factory design if I can help it. I think Mercury has years of testing on the oil injector system and wouldn't have installed it on their engines if it wasn't a good workable design."

Oil injectio ?? Who needs it!!

Oil injectio ?? Who needs it!! Last year I was asked to assist in getting a motor such as yours running.It would not start. I found that the carburetors were full of oil ( motor sat for a few years )on a pontoon boat. It now runs like a top on 50:1 premix and the owner is delighted.

"not a student is right, its n

"not a student is right, its not a matter of if the oil injection system will fail its about when it will fail. If it was mine as soon as the engine runs out of warrenty it goes on pre-mix. You can run your system with no trouble for years but you won't know the oiler has failed till you trash the engine. That being said you could pour some oil in the tank and run it on doulbe oil till you are sure it works fine. Pour some oil down the plug holes and turn engine over if it has sat for a while."

"NaS and JB,
Thanks for your

"NaS and JB,
Thanks for your opinions on this issue. I'll pick some marine oil up and add it to the fuel tank. Will I have to disconnect wiring from the oil system to disable it or should I just leave it alone and let it run dry?

What's your opinion of cutting out foam pockets on the boat? I know they are there to help keep the boat afloat in case you take on too much water, but it's an awful alot of wasted space on the boat. I could add at least 3 storage compartments to the boat if I cut some of the added foam out.
I'll be adding two 1000 gph pumps so unless the boat goes completely under the water, I should be fairly well covered from swamping."

"run the boat this year as is,

"run the boat this year as is, if you must have storage due it next year when its not fishing time. Here is a link, check out the cronical section and the vidio's for info on how to disconnect oil system
http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin//YaBB.pl"

"Thanks JB.
I've got my m

"Thanks JB.
I've got my manuals and will start next week pulling the lower unit off to install the water pump kit. Once I get that done, I'll start on the carb kits.
Still need to drain all the old fuel out of the tank and then mix 50:1 in it and disconnect the oil pump system.
I'll keep you posted on the progress. I'm hoping to be on the water within 2-3 weeks with it. (no garage so I have to work on it when there's good weather around here)"

"the trick to the water pump i

"the trick to the water pump is to put the impeller on the shaft, lube it, slide the housing down over the impeller and twist the drive shaft clockwise, pushing down on the housing. you won't believe how easy it is. start a new post or email me for help"

Back