Logo

1960 3 Hp brudeb starts but wont Idle runs rough at high throttle

thudpucker

Regular Contributor
"Evinrude 3034-07794 (I&#3

"Evinrude 3034-07794 (I've been told it's a 1960 Folding shaft)

This little guy will start and run fairly easy.
Starts every time on the first pull or two.

When the throttle is wide open it sounds like it's only running on one cylinder.
But both plugs fire when I'm pulling it through with the plugs grounded to the block.

When I let it back down to Idle it just dies.
Fast Idle is erratic. Speeds up n' slows down.
Why is it so erratic? What am I missing?

It has the old Needle n' Seat. I couldn't find a kit with a new set included. The carb is clean and all passages are clean and open.
The kit I have, has new cork seals, which I used.
The float seems to work well.
The Float is set perfectly parallel to the Carb assy.

When I got the motor, one coil did not work. The Terminal end that connects to the points was twisted off. Only the insulation was connected to the Coil. I put a new Terminal end on.

One plug wire has a Metal ring squeezed on it. I'm gonna assume that's the Upper plug wire.
Will it run with those plug wires reversed?

This little bugger is beating me to death!"

"IT will def not run right wit

"IT will def not run right with the plug wires reversed...the one w/the alum ring,is in fact the upper one.you need to start w/the basics,of compression,spark and fuel delivery.I would expect to see somewhere around 70 psi comp or so on that lil eng,as long as its fairly even between both cyl's.Next,it needs to be tuned up w/new parts,dont waste time cleaning and screwing around w/old dirty stuff trying to make it work,install new parts if u want it to work as good as poss,in as little of work time as poss.Install new carb kit and new float,if it still has the old cork float,it may be original,in that case,it needs to be upgraded,as it may be sinking on u,..install new water pump impeller and lower unit oil...If all this is beyond your abilities,i would suggest maybe a friend or a boat shop,as u need to be pretty mech inclined,...esp for safety reasons."

"OK JW, thanks.
I replaced th

"OK JW, thanks.
I replaced the plugs with new. Gapped at .030

Let the float sit for an hour in some Gas and it did not absorb any of the Gas.
It's the original Cork float.

I got the wrong carb kit. So the old rubber tipped needle and seat is still in there.
I thought it was working, but maybe not. I set the float level.

The points were clean. I did not burnish them.

I have not looked at the lower unit yet. However it does not run hot. About the right temp. in fact.

Next, I'm going to check the points with a light. Maybe they are not working or one of the coils is intermittent?

The motor sets at a little bit of a forward angle on my Test Barrel."

Back