Logo

1972 Chrysler 440 Questions

holmes

"Hello to all, I'm new her

"Hello to all, I'm new here and new to working on my own boat. I was lucky to get the Familys 1972 Century Arabian with a Chrysler 440. The boat is in great shape, I now want to keep it that way.

Questions:

1. Oil Type that should be used in this Engine and how many Quarts?

2. Is there a place to buy new hoses for this Engine?

3. What is the general timespan of needing to rebuild or clean.. etc the Carb?

4. The Transmission seems to not be going into Neutral...The prop always spins, How do I fix that? Paragon Gears is what the name plate says.

Hope to hear from some of you...I'm really wanting to keep this boat as original as possable.

Also if you know anyone or any where to find info on the 1972 Century Arabian and original parts please let me know..."

"Let's take 'em one at

"Let's take 'em one at a time:

1. Oil Type that should be used in this Engine and how many Quarts?

I recommend 10W30 (if it holds good oil pressure) and 10W40 if it doesn't. Fill until it tops off and make a note. About 6 quarts.

2. Is there a place to buy new hoses for this Engine?

Marine supply on-line. Try this site first, please.

3. What is the general timespan of needing to rebuild or clean.. etc the Carb?

It's ready!

4. The Transmission seems to not be going into Neutral...The prop always spins, How do I fix that? Paragon Gears is what the name plate says.

Normal. The motor has to be running for the drivetrain to be connected--it ain't an outbaord!

Jeff"

"I have the same engine but in

"I have the same engine but in a 1983 MasterCraft.

The engine runs smoothly while cruising the lake for about 45 minutes and then it starts "breaking down" as in it starts missing, flooding, and cutting out and continues to get worse. This only happens when it has a load on it but in neutral it runs fine with no sign of problems.

I replaced the coil and had the carburetor rebuilt.

It also has a Chrysler Marine Electronic ignition.

What do you think?"

"I just purchased a 1972 Centu

"I just purchased a 1972 Century Arabian with the 440 Chrysler. The boat is in running condition, but the owner said I should replace the impeller in the water pump------is this easy and are there any other engine maintenance items I should be aware of with this engine. The boat wasn't used very much and the previous owner doesn't think it has 100 hrs on it."

"Chris Fassinger, From my pers

"Chris Fassinger, From my personal experience the Impeller replacment wasn't hard at all. I ordered the parts online and I also bought a Engine Manual and it kind of walked me through it.

The Waterpump (Sherwood) on mine takes 2 different impellers and they are both different sizes.

I also just had to replace the fuel filter (engine was bogging down) This should be replace those every 100 hours according to the manual.

Hope this helps..."

"When you changed your impella

"When you changed your impellars on the Sherwood D55 did you remove the pump from the pulley, or is it possible to change them while still attached to the pulley."

"I just Rebuilt my 1970 Chrysl

"I just Rebuilt my 1970 Chrysler 440 High Performence
engine. Got new heads and connecting rod bearing but what i am having trouble with is that, when i was just rotating the engine with valve covers off the rocker arm was not moving that much is the normal or should i worry."

"I am restoring a 72 Arabian a

"I am restoring a 72 Arabian and I am having trouble finding hoses, also. The plumbing has me stumped. Did you find cooling hoses?"

Back