Logo

Yamaha sterndrive shifting problems

M

mark smith

Have had a problem with severa

Have had a problem with several of these not shifting properly. It seems to be in the gearcase where the v shaped cog meets up rith the shifting rod. Wont shift into gear and causes stall switch to not work properly.had this problem on several yamahas. Anyone had this or know the cure? Thanks.

"Remove drive, split drive, re

"Remove drive, split drive, remove bronze shift fork, drill out bushing one size larger, reassemble. One problem will be getting a drill bit long enough to reach down in there to the bushing. I welded a ten inch stud on the end of the proper sized drill bit and hung it on the wall."

"Jason Garland,

You outline

"Jason Garland,

You outlined a problem you had with a yamaha outdrive shift issue. My yamaha won't shift into forward and it will shift intermittantly into reverse. I split the outdrive enough to see the shift fork and the shift lever. The shift fork works fine and easy with my finger. The shift lever works fine by the cable. When shifting by hand it goes into gear quite easily but when you put the outdrive back on it and try to go into forward by turning the propeller it seems to skip on the shift pall. It acts as if the cable doesn"t engage the forward far enough and the reverse is binding. I don't want to spend a ton of money on a cable that is not bad. and I don't to pay 85 bucks an hour for someone to hunt for a problem. If you could be of assistance it would be great. Anyone that has any advice please call me at 419-508-3763.

Thanks
frank"

This Yamaha sterndrive seems to have allot of you up a creek.

I just fixed one for a friend... His cable was good, and his fork moved with one finger.

Step one.. buy or make 1 seal kit, and a second gasket.

step two..Install both gaskets

step three.. Try it out, and enjoy.

Don't believe me... Just back up on the 6 bolts that hold it on a try it again.

Don't get fooled and don't drill anything out!

You could get away with one gasket, if you dremel the fork on the stern slightly (less then the thickness if the gasket).

If you look at it you can seee where it rubs...

Ken is king.
I do it to see the people having fun!

Hi,

I am no means a marine mechanic so I don't understand all of the technical terms. When you say:

"dremel the fork on the stern slightly"

What is the fork? I have taken the whole stern drive off the boat and have split the unit as well. Where do I find the fork? I see two bronze pieces. One sits in the lower half and the other one is still sitting in the section that is attached on the boat where the stern drive slips on.

Sorry for all the incorrect terms.

All of the pieces seem to move fine, what are the pieces I am suppose to move with my finger easily. Please use descriptive terms as I don't know technical terms :)

I had this same problem and it drove me crazy. I am posting this in hopes that it helps those who are fighting with it too. I removed the out drive several times an manually shifted the shift rod. I adjusted the cable and could get forward and neutral, sometimes reverse but lose forward. Then I would get them all but it would change without any further adjusting on its own. After a lot of head scratching I noticed the cable had a slight angle at the mount on the kill switch pivot . I wiggled the pivot and found a very small amount of play in it. I tightened the lock nut at the pivot point and suddenly all was right. I had all gears and my cables were not maxed out on adjustment anymore. I don't know that this is everyone's problem but thought I would share it as I haven't read about it anywhere. I was to the point of drilling out
The bushing just because I had read so much about it. I hate chasing a ghost problem. Hope this helps at least some of you!

Back