Logo

Starter will not engage ring gear please help

"The background info, i inheri

"The background info, i inherited a 97 19' maxum bowrider with the 4.3 vortec 190 hrs v6. It had not been run in about three years. Only has about 100 hrs on it. After new tires and pulling it to my place i began turning the wrenches. It would do nothing when i got it. I fixed the hydraulics on the tilt then rewired almost the whole boat. Got power to everything motor wise. Got all fluids in her then began tying to start. Would turn over and had fire in all 6. But would not run.

I did a fairly heavy cleaning throughout the fuel system and changed plugs and wires. Compression test good. Could not get her to start still. Shot some starter fluid down in there and she ran, then stopped... bad gas. Fixed that and she ran. I turned her off and tried to restart and the starter just spun. pulled it off bench tested, working fine. inspected the ring gear.. lookin good. Reinstalled and prayed... nadda. I dont know what to do now... any suggestions? I in advance thank you for any information."

"i dont think that the solenoi

"i dont think that the solenoid is sticking because the starter when bench tested did spin and pop out as it is supposed to. it seems to be covering the whole range of motion that it is supposed to. it just does not seem to be reaching the ring gear. i pulled the belt and plugs and turned the crank manually and was able to get slight connection in some places but not nearly enough to turn over. i was reading another post where the starter had to be shimmed with washers. does this seem logical to anyone else?

and yes the person was my father, he knew that i would be capable of getting it running and would get much use out of it."

"If it Worked Before,........

"If it Worked Before,........
And,.....
It Don't Now,.......

You say it's Spinning,+ Not Engaging,..??.. Right..??...

I'd put Another Starter on it....... Bench Test be Danm..........

"

it works exactly the same now

it works exactly the same now as it did when i first tested the thing. that is why i am baffled at why all of a sudden it would not be when the performance is exactly the same.

does anyone know if the starter off the 4.3 vortec chevy motor is the same and would work? i can get that one much cheaper. just wanted to check compatibility first. thanks for all your help.

ian

"Ian:

Sorry about your loss

"Ian:

Sorry about your loss. I buried my father, then my father-in-law two weeks later, so I apologize for being a smart ass.

There's a C-clip on the end of the starter shaft that keeps the bendix drive from moving out too far. It's possible that it's out of position and stopping the Bendix from moving far enough.

Jeff

PS: For a trial, an auto starter is okay, but it's illegal in marine service."

"thank you i appreciate that.

"thank you i appreciate that. i will see what i can do as far as that c clip. and thank you for that good piece of info on the auto starter.

ian

ps jeff thanks for the apology, he did not pass away, my parents just split up, and she refused to let him keep it at "her" house."

"Hi,

My Delco 9000821 start

"Hi,

My Delco 9000821 starter just went a few weeks ago.
Took it out - bench tested OK. Back into engine - would engage once only, but not again, due to the load vs bench test. Took the starter apart - the outer ring on the planetary gear was plastic, and shredded to bits. When it rotated to this spot UNDER load, it would just stop there and spin.
Point is, if you have a geared starter, and it bench tests OK, it may still NOT be OK. Take it apart to see."

Back