Logo

1983 Evinrude 140 hp spark question

outandabout

So here's the deal... I am

So here's the deal... I am having some difficulty understanding some of the ignition trouble shooting results that I have gotten from numerous tests.

Problem - No spark on the #2 and #4 firing order. #1 and #3 are firing properly.

All ignition coils have tested to be working properly. Have done extensive testing the power-packs. (Also have replaced one.) Seem to be working good. Spark plugs are almost new as well. (Replaced last fall...sat over winter) They were replaced with the flat style plugs without the gapping. Is this normal for this model?

Where I am at now - I have tried doing tests for the stator and regulator with mixed results.

Am I on the right track?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as to what would cause the 2 plugs to get no spark.

Pulser/trigger? What do you m

Pulser/trigger? What do you mean by that... Would the contact points be a possible cause of the spark to only 2 plugs.

PLEASE HELP WITH ANY IDEAS

"Do a voltage test from stator

"Do a voltage test from stator and into powerpack when crancking or ohm test when not crancking. If similar result on both sides, everything probably ok under flywheel, and power pack is gone."

The powerpacks have been teste

The powerpacks have been tested quite thurough....We even swapped from side to side with the same results. Still no spark to one side.

What is an OK way for an average joe to remove the flywheel? Will a steering wheel puller work?

There is no need to pull the f

There is no need to pull the flywheel to test the charge coils and trigger (sensor ) coils.Check the plug in connecters for the power pack as it sounds ( from my desk ) that one or more pins are not installed correctly.

Will the stator/timer base cau

Will the stator/timer base cause firing on one side and not the other on a 4-cylider engine?

"Can you give more detail? If

"Can you give more detail? If all components including plugs, wires, coils, and power packs test as good...would the timer base and stator be next on the list? The tests on these two componets are supposed to read infinite (1000) ohms in a resistance test and they come up just shy (approx. 900) ohms. Should we then suspect and replace them. We are trying to avoid throwing parts at the motor - ya know. Any more detailed tips would be greatly appreciated!"

"Also, I have just pulled the

"Also, I have just pulled the flywheel to visually inspect the stator and timer base. It seems the magnets themselves are in good shape (no goo, cracks, etc.) and still have their magnetism (the stator clings to the flywheel anyway). The rubber like material is chipping away though I don't see how that could affect things. Can someone explain how these magnets communicate with the power packs and how they can fail? Thanks!"

you do the same test but use t

you do the same test but use the volts instead and u crank the motor over
this will tell u what is up

We replaced the rectifer and g

We replaced the rectifer and got the spark back on all four plugs. Also ran a compression check on all 4. #1 and 3 firing positions read 75 lbs and #2 and 4 (these were the problem plugs before) read 100 lbs. What do these numbers mean? Seems a bit on the low side... (Not sure if there is a low compression head gasket installed).

Also have quite the backfire when trying to start the motor now. What would cause this?

Back