Logo

Tank Test or Muff Test

silkscreeners

Contributing Member
"Test your knowledge; I know t

"Test your knowledge; I know the answer. I have a '85 Johnson 60 horse 2 cylinder. It runs like a charm on the muffs, but when taken to the lake with lower unit in the water, it will not run. Compression is unknown. Anyone have any thoughts? I'll post why later! Regards, Brian"

"idling too slow,when in lake

"idling too slow,when in lake exhaust back pressure slows it even more......link & sync off,...idle pick-up timing way off.....one cyl dead.....i give up......"

"This happened to me last year

"This happened to me last year. I took it into the shop and what happened was the VRO failed with NO alarm. Both rings broke with pistons and cylinder walls scored. Motor shot! I don't have much faith in muff testing a motor. It did run nice and shift in and out of gears on the muffs, but nothing in the water. Brian"

"Prime example of extra techno

"Prime example of extra technology that is not needed.Yes people always post "it runs great in the driveway, but stalls in the water ". A motor with no load on it will " sound " and appear to be in good shape to the untrained."

That is very true. The 1987 Jo

That is very true. The 1987 Johnson 110 I am rebuilding had a dead cylinder but it ran fine in the driveway. Put a test prop on it and put it in the water and it wouldn't develop full rpm.

"my boat will go to full rpms

"my boat will go to full rpms some times and will drop down rpms after a bit , them sometimes it will kick back in and stay or just run horribly. any ideas?"

Back