Logo

Too hot

R

Rick Benefield

I'm told that the 25 hp me

I'm told that the 25 hp merc (2 stroke)discharges hot water out of the tell tale because the tell tale is driven off the t-state. The discharge is warm at idle but heats up to hot when rpm's increase. I'm also told that if the "heads" are not "hot" then I'm OK and not overheating.
Could someone explain to me exactly where I should be putting my hand on the motor to "feel" if the engine is too hot ? Is there a standard as to how "warm" the engine should feel ? Should I be able to keep my hand on the engine indefinitely when at 3/4 throttle ? My 250 yamaha discharge is always "cool" and the hot discharge on the merc concerns me especially since the motor is not equipped with an alarm.
Thanks for the help

no temp gun yet. I can't

no temp gun yet. I can't really put my fingers on top of motor. There is a plastic mechanism where the spark plug wires come out. On port side of motor is flat metal plate. On starboard side it is metal and semi-round in 2 areas (top & bottom cylinders I suppose). Can I feel this area to see if engine is overheating ? Do I feel this area closer to the back area of this metal or closer to the middle of the engine ? Should I be feeling the flat metal plate on left side ? How about the very back of edges of the engine. Any reason to feel the block around fly wheel. I'm told no water circulates around this area and the block will be hot. Not much room on top of engine to feel anything except area above top of sparkplug...All help out there would be appreciated as I'm a notice but concerned. Hopefully for nothing as I have been running this engine now for 2 years and only recently decided to put my hand under the tell tale stream while boat was on plane. Engine seems to be running fine but just want to make sure because of the hot water coming out of tell tale...thanks

Back