Logo

OMC Oldboys Ever Heard of This

G

greaseball04

"I am the process of putting

"I am the process of putting '81 140 Johnson together. Basically I got the motor for next to nothing so I decided to try and figure out what is wrong or not. The motor runs fine but smokes like an SOB. (Compression across the board is 120 lbs) Upon further investigation (pulling the power head)I determined that that the cause for the smoke was a broken crankshaft (just above the spline opening allowing for a 3/4 inch piece missing from the crank where it is supposed to ride on the lower crank seal, it looked some idiot dropped the powerhead on the lower crank bearing/seal housing, breaking both the housing and a piece from the crank at the same time). When running, the motor would spew intake or exhaust gas past the seal and directly out the bottom of the powerhead making for a messy test tub, massive amounts of oil/fuel. I got an excellent cheap replacement crank off Ebay, split the case, installed and viola no excess blow-by smoke. Runs 100% better. One head seemed to run hotter than the other (this motor has been punched out .020) I decided to pull the heads off (I didn't do originally 'cause to compression was acceptable, I just put in the new crank) to see if there was any restriction to water flow that might account for the difference in temp (I previously tested and cleaned the thermostats and they were fine, and there is excellent tell tale water). Upon pulling the heads I noticed that in the water passages just to left and right of the mid point of the Siamese (mid point of the bore) there is some rubber hose inserted about a 1/2 inch long forming, if you will, a dam or obstruction in the cooling jacket in the block. There is two of these obstructions on either side of the V-4. What gives? Is this some service trick to baffle the water flow and increase cooling efficiency or is this some bandaid measure to fix something else. I have looked at the seloc manual and no where does it describe this technique. Any "Old-Boy Omc Techs" heard if this?"

"yep.........water deflectors.

"yep.........water deflectors....they direct the flow of water...i would suggest replacing them,as they swell up,and block more than intended.."

Yep I had same problem on my 8

Yep I had same problem on my 89 110HP Water defelctors swelled up either because of previous overheat or They are old. Do a search and you will find Joe Reeves Directions. Pretty simple to replace

"Or if you have a problem with

"Or if you have a problem with the search.....

(Water Deflectors)
(J. Reeves)

Water deflectors are actually lengths of 3/8" outside diameter rubber hose, installed between the top cylinder and any cylinder beneath it, and also between the bottom cylinder and the block. The purpose of the deflectors is to have the water follow a deffinite path around the cylinder walls. Unfortunately the deflectors between the cylinders will at times swell sideways due to either a previous bad overheating problem, or simply due to age and salt corrosion. This causes a water flow restriction which usually allows the water to cool sufficently at low rpms but not at the higher rpms.

This hose material can be purchased reasonably at any automotive parts type store if you care to make your own, or you can purchase individual deflectors at any Evinrude/Johnson dealership at a somewhat higher cost.

Removing and installing them can be a hassle at times, but not always. I use a sharply pointed scribe with about 1/4" of the tip bent at a right angle whereas I can reach in, jab the tip sideways into the rubber, then yank it out. It's necessary to clean the seating surfaces where the ruber contacts the block with a small rat tail file to eliminate salt deposits etc. When installing the new rubber deflector, coat the deflector and the metal surfaces with WD40 which will act as lubrication to allow it to go in as easily as possible.

Make sure that you insert something into that deflector area before cutting and installing the deflectors if you make your own so that you will be certain that they are the right length and also that they will be seated properly. Usually a very small amount will be left extending about the block sealing area..... simply cut the excess off with a single edge razor blade.

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

HAVE SPARK ON v4 125 BUT ONE I

HAVE SPARK ON v4 125 BUT ONE IS WEAK NO DIFFERENCE ON MOTOR.BUT RUNS GOOD SLOW TAKE OFF

Back