Logo

MCM 488 190hp

stvpenn

"Ok everyone here is my questi

"Ok everyone here is my question, what is the mcm 488 ford or chevy. from what i can find its a merc. block with a ford 470 head? I am trying to figure iut what kind of water pump i need and if its fairly straight foward to change or very diffulcult

Thanks
Steve"

"If you are talking the circ p

"If you are talking the circ pump on the front of the engine, GOOD LUCK. My worst night of sleep is the night before I change one of those darn things out. Yes, it's a M/C block with a Ford 460 head, pistons, rods and valve train. A really screwy charging system also. When it goes bad,it will, put a real alt on it, there are several aftermarket kits to do this. If it's got the 3" heat exchanger on it you might watch the temps close and look for a 4". Good luck"

"yea thats the one, it is drip

"yea thats the one, it is dripping out the relief hole, the temp is good just dripping, what makes it so hard to change? also while im asking is the dist. ford or gm? thinking about going eletronic. oh one more? what would cause good temp at idle or low speed and slowly creeps up after a few mineuts at cruising speed? ( port side )"

"if it's coming from the h

"if it's coming from the hole at the bottom of the timing cover and water circulation cover then that is the two seals on the cam that are gone bad.. actually it's the first one if water is not in the oil yet, but continue to add a little antifreeze and ride a little bit more and bingo... you will get water in the oil.. i personally haven't seen any of the circulation pump's go bad as they are driven by the camshaft. but the cam has wore down some and caused these two seals to go bad on it... one seal on the inside keeps the oil in the block and the one on the outer most front keeps the water in the pump area, when the first one goes bad it gives you the condition you are seeing now. very important to fix this now before the second one goes and water get's in the oil. i had to use speedi-sleeve's to fix the grooves on the cam on one engine in the past, though not many places carry these. but check your cam for grooves and if you got them replace the cam or get speedi sleeve's to fix the seal area..if not new seals aren't going to help... oh yeah the 4" heat exchanger is a great improvement for these engine's and great peace of mind, hope this helps"

Thanks i was afraid it was goi

Thanks i was afraid it was going to harder than it looked. what do you think a marine repair shop would charge?

Back