Logo
Get instant online access to repair manuals for your Mercury / Mariner outboard. Online Manuals
MercuryMariner
Order printed Mercury / Mariner service manuals — shipped to your door! Printed Manuals
MercuryMariner
Use engine diagrams to find & order parts for your Mercury / Mariner engine. Engine Diagrams
MercuryMariner
Find parts quickly with Mercury application guides. Quick Parts Guide
MercurySierraCDI

Default "I have had my boat in the rep

"I have had my boat in the repair shop for the past couple weeks because It was having trouble starting and idling. I got it back last weekend and they said they replaced the starter, replaced the floats, cleaned all 3 carbs and adjusted the idle.
    I took it out last week end and it started up great and Idled great. However when I give it some throttle and it goes into gear it stalls, If I ease the throttle into place I can get it to go maybe 5-10 mph but any more throttle and it dies. While I was idling at 5-10 mph another boat passed me and as their wake shook my boat something just kicked in and my boat started working normally and could cruize just as fast as normal when I brought the engine back to neutral and tried to give it more throttle once again it stalls. I couldnt get it to go back to normal after that. I brought the boat back to the repair shop, but I was curious if you guys would know what was wrong."

Default "floats or not adjusted right

"floats or not adjusted right or a loose wire connections, or even the trigger base is not moving if u have that kind of trigger"
    HUMAN BUILT = HUMAN FIXED

CERTIFIED MARINE TECHNICIAN

WWW.JUSTINTIMEMARINE.COM

not-a-student Guest

Default "Sounds like it is set too lea

"Sounds like it is set too lean and you need to adjust the three low speed jets (upper right on the carburetor ) Open up all three 1/8th turn at a time and try again.It is common to set them up lean as it gives nice idle, but like you have found out they need extra fuel to get between idle jet and high speed jet."

Default "thanks, I'll keep you pos

"thanks, I'll keep you posted on what it is, It sounded like it was fuel related so I think it's just set up too lean the repair shop BETTER fix it for free since it was their mistake!"

Default "ok, the shop thinks it's

"ok, the shop thinks it's the stator what do you guys think?"

not-a-student Guest

Default Have you tried to adjust the i

Have you tried to adjust the idle mixture ????? If it is the problem you can give yourself a pat on the back and you can then inform the shop that you are not impressed with their work.You may not have a problem again with them when they realize that not everyone is " motor challenged "

Chris1956 Guest

Default "Brad, It is likely you need

"Brad, It is likely you need to richen the carb idle mixture. To do this, warm up the boat in the water. Now open (CCW) the top carb idle mixture screw 1/8 turn, and try to accelerate. Repeat with mid-carb, and then bottom carb. Try to accelerate betwen each adjustment. Repeat top-mid-bottom carb sequence if necessary. Stop adjustments when the motor idles reasonable well and accelerates well."

Default "hey guys, I got my boat back

"hey guys, I got my boat back today with a new stator and took it out, same problem... I have not tried adjusting the idle mixture because I was worried I would turn the wrong screw and not be able to get it back to normal. I did learn a little trick that enabled me to get it running well, if I tap the choke while I accelerate it seems to go perfectly fine. To me it sounds like the air fuel mixure must be incorrect as you guys have mentioned, can you explain to me exactly what screws I need to turn while I am in the water, LOL I will even take a picture of my carburator if that would make it easier for you guys to explain. And it should still be top-middle-bottom correct? I really appreciate you guys help you've treated an inexperianced newbie well."

Default "lol I checked the manual of a

"lol I checked the manual of all places and it gives me a picture, I'll go out today to adjust it"