Logo

1988 Johnson VRO 120hp idle and fuel questions

J

joe meyers sav

"Just bought this motor a few

"Just bought this motor a few weeks ago. Had a problem with it idling. When trying to put it in gear, it would die. Raised the idle to 900 rpm in the water.It idles at 1100 out of the water. Yesterday, I noticed when I would start the motor it would idle at 900, then slowly drop to 700 or so and die when puting it in gear.Restart and it idled at 900. It then ran good the rest of the day.When I got home, I lowered the motor to flush it. A gas trail is seen running down the outdrive. All the plugs are wet, but not drenched. The VRO is disconnected. Anyone having similar problems? Suggestions? Also, where is the model and serial number located? Thanks!"

"Sor far, took off all carbs t

"Sor far, took off all carbs to clean them. Found nothing out of synch. Needle valves on all carbs seem to shut off fuel flow. Plugs full of oil. Is it possible engine not getting hot enough spark? It does seem motor never really gets hot. Coils look like originals. What is the "Enricher and where is it? What do I look for?""

"pulled the carbs. The floats

"pulled the carbs. The floats were not adjusted to the proper level. 3 were not high enough. 1 was too high. After that, Motor idled at 1000. I cut the idle all the way back and it still idled at 1000.Motor sounded good. Set plug gap at .40 per the book. Will test and report at another time when I put the boat in for the test."

"Took boat out a few times. Ca

"Took boat out a few times. Carbs dont leak anymore. Yay! Thats fixed. Checked timing and it was way off. I had to advance the timing screw all the way as far as it will go. I am close to the target within 2 degrees but thats all I can get. Motor ran way better. I got another 500 RPMs to a WOT of 5000. Motor way better on gas and stays at an idle of 1000rpms. Cant get idle down anymore.
As far as the timing goes, does anyone know what needs to be replaced to get the target timing?? Im figuring something is about worn out."

Back