Logo

1974 70hp johnson no spark

murph

"idling last night and motor d

"idling last night and motor died, paddled a long way after not starting. Removed ignition wire (yellow black) still no start, checked voltage at brown wire (stator?) 2 volts while cranking motor, impedence over stator 600ohms (brown to brown-orange wire). Is stator bad? Or should I do something else? Thanks for the help. I can't get the flywheel off with a socket, so do I need an impact wrench??"

"The ohm reading pertaining to

"The ohm reading pertaining to the stator is rught in the ball park. The voltage..... I suspect that you're in error on that if the engine is cranking over at least 300 rpm (with the spark plugs removed).

The stator normally emits approximately 300 "AC" volts to the powerpack capacitor (not DC). Check the stator to see if any of the three large coils m,ight be cracked and if so, driipping a sticky substance down of the timer base and powerhead area. If this dripping and cracking does not exxist, I would strongly suspect a failed powerpack.

Note that a failing stator usually fails by degrees, not altogether and all at once. A powerpack will."

"Thanks for the info Joe. I r

"Thanks for the info Joe. I replaced the stator.... no voltage then replaced powerpack just as you suggested and had good spark. AC output on stator 170V. Thought I was home free, put the plugs back in and can't get the motor to fire at all. Any other ideas??"

"If you have compression and s

"If you have compression and spark, that leaves fuel. But you said that the engine was running fine the other night and it's very unlikely that the carburetors would foul in such a short time.

Remove the front lower drain from the carburetor float chambers to see if fuel is actually there.

Proper starting method.... Prime fuel bulb up hard, apply a slight bit of throttle, turn key to start position and activate choke until engine fires. Is this your starting porcedure? If so, check to make sure that the choke is actually functioning as it may have been acidently pushed to the manual OFF position."

"I have a similar problem with

"I have a similar problem with my 1998 Johnson 150HP Outboard. It idles fine, then when ramped up on RPM's it suddenly dies out. Any suggestions on what it could be?"

"Kandi.... Go back to the prev

"Kandi.... Go back to the previous page, then in the BLUE area, click on "Start New Discussion" so that your post will have its own topic and be listed at the top of the page."

Back