Logo

What is proper fuel ratio mix for 1957 30 hp Johnson

rondor

I have a 1957 3.0 hp Johnson &

I have a 1957 3.0 hp Johnson (model JW-13)and the label on top states: "use 1/2 pint of oil per gallon of gasoline." That is a 16:1 fuel mix ratio and when used the motor smokes a lot more than I think it should. A friend said that with today's quality of oil (much improved in 50 years)that only a 50:1 fuel mix is now needed. So instead of 48 oz of oil for six gallons of gasoline you would only use 16 oz of oil. That is 1/3 the recommended amount. Has oil improved that much in quality? 50:1 seems lean but 16:1 appears way too rich... you can see a cloud of smoke from my motor a mile away. Have run it on 50:1 and the twin cyclinder motor pures along with little if any smoke. Any comments?

Your friend is wrong and since

Your friend is wrong and since the motor is not equipped with needle and ball bearings you should follow the direction on the motor ( they are never wrong )It not a question of improved oil just quantity for that motor.Sure it " purrs along " with less oil but not for long.

"Yes, follow the original mixt

"Yes, follow the original mixture instructions. I have found that synthetic (TCW-3) rated oils smoke less."

The engine is designed to run

The engine is designed to run on a 24/1 mixture. That is.... 1 quart of 50/1 oil to 6 gallons of gasoline. A fuel rating of 87 will be fine.

Back