Logo

Timing problem on 57 Marine Power

F

Fred Keech

I need some assistance with t

I need some assistance with the proper way to set the timing on a Marine Power 5.7 Vortec. It came with an electrical plug with wire attached that it says to plug into the distributor and to the hot side of the battery. But when I do that it shuts the engine off. It's been backfiring thru the carb.and losing power so I think she may have jumped time. I'd appreciate any info!

you need to bring balancer to

you need to bring balancer to tdc on the timing pointer. find #1 cyl. on dist cap make sure rotor is pointing at #1. If it is not then it has jumed time

"It's been backfiring

"It's been backfiring thru the carb.and losing power so I think she may have jumped time. I'd appreciate any info!"

That's a Lack of Fuel Issue...........

You're looking in the Wrong Place......

"Might be, but the timing need

"Might be, but the timing needs to be correctly set in any case, and it's a good thing to eliminate. The easiest way to do it is to mark the timing pulley at full advance (about 28 degrees) and time it at 3,500 rpms. If that doesn't do it, start looking at fuel problems.

Jeff"

I'm sure this Fred has fig

I'm sure this Fred has figured this problem out by now...it's been over two years.

"I hope somebody out there cou

"I hope somebody out there could help me I D this old outboard moter I found in a barn.Its a single cyc with two alumn.torpido like tanks on top one is for fuel and one is for oil and it mixes in what looks like a carb with no moving parts.Feeding tubes come down from both tanks and mixes there. you can control the oil flow through the filler cap.It has a slot in the threads that controls air intering the tank.you control the RPM by advanceing the timing.There are no # or names on it.I just dont want to brake anything trying to start it. Thanks for any help you could give rick [email protected] I have some pic. but cant seem to upload them"

Back