Logo

Mariner 60 hp running problem

twyggers

"I'm new to baoting and wo

"I'm new to baoting and would appreciate some help!
My problem is that although the engine starts really easily, when I put it into gear there's a clonking noise and the engine dies. I have to give it full throttle and back off almost immediately to stop the boat launching forward!!!
The engine idles smoothly and when running shows no problems, it's just a pain to get moving though!!"

"While you have the side cover

"While you have the side cover off adjusting the cables, you may want to increase the idle speed slightly. My 60 idles at almost 1000 in neutral to give the spec 750RPM idling in gear. Make sure you invest in a decent manual, and follow the instructions to the letter for carb adjustment. And, as mentioned in the manual, a LITTLE rich is better than too lean on the idle mixture."

Ingnition problem on 1988 115

Ingnition problem on 1988 115 merc outboard. What can be causing my ignition switchboxes to go bad? I'm referring to the upper and lower sealed electronic modules located just forward of the coils on the right side of the motor. On my last outting my engine began missing real bad. I troubleshot it to no spark in cyl's 1-2-3. When I got home I swapped the upper and lower ignition boxes and the problem swapped. Gained spark in 1-2-3 and lost spark in 4-5-6. This told me I had a bad box. Bought a new box and replaced it. Initially the new box worked fine in that I had spark in all the cylinders. After a few cranks of the engine it began to fail and I started lossing spark a few of the cylinders. In a matter of about 5 minutes of cranking the engine to try and figure out what was going wrong I ended up loosing spark in all the cylinders but the #1. So now I have what I think is 2 bad ignition boxes and scared to repalce any more in fear that something on the motor is causing them to go bad. Any ideas?????

Back