Logo

30L still no power under load

mhaleen

"As I posted before my 3.0L me

"As I posted before my 3.0L mecruiser still misses or has no power under load. I installed a fuel water seperator and cleaned the two fuel filters. It runs good at idle and slow speeds but @ WOT I could hear and feel that the engine was really "loaded up". Is this a possible ignition problem, ie coil or something. 2 of the plugs were a little black and the other 2 were slightly damp. Any suggestions on what and how to test for things would be great... Thanks"

Oh yeah and the Tack is still

Oh yeah and the Tack is still acting eradic. Not sure if this is related but thought I should post it. Any ideas on how I could trouble shoot these problems on the water or on the ear muffs would be very helpful.

"Check the timing while reving

"Check the timing while reving up. If it is a point style dist the mechanical advance may be stuck, not letting it advance. Your timing should increase from about 8 to 25 or more when reving up in neutral."

"Mark: Is the throttle wide o

"Mark: Is the throttle wide open when the engine is at oper. temp.? If not, choke is either fried or there is a binding in the linkage or butterfly. A partially open choke will "load up" with too much fuel. I'd suspect the choke; does it get hot to touch? Yes = heater is working. No = heater is off and either lost its 12V, ground or its fried. Replace if there is 12V at the coil and it is cold to touch w/ignition on.

"2 of the plugs were a little black and the other 2 were slightly damp." By the plugs it sounds like too much fuel. But, if the coil is breaking down, it would not fire cleanly and foul the plugs.

Is your tach connected to the neg. side of the coil? Tach is either defective or it is telling you the coil is breaking down. I'd put in a new set of plugs, inspect the cap & rotor and replace if corroded and put in a new coil.

If the plug wires have alot of hours on them, replace them w/a quality set and use a Q-tip to coat the inside of the plug wire boot with a thin coat of dialectric grease; makes it easier to remove them next time you change plugs.
Guy"

Hey Mark
Have a look at Runni

Hey Mark
Have a look at Running out of Puff on 24/2/07
then running out of Puff 2 on 2/4/07.
You may find the information usefull.
Regards
Peter C

Back