Logo

Outdrive side to side play

baja170

"have found that the outdrive

"have found that the outdrive unit on my 1988 Four Winns 205 Sundowner has side play in it///when outdrive is off center to right, can pull outdrive to right about 3-4 inches if lean on it without steering that is visible inside boat not moving...go past center to opisite direction and can move drive same amount in oppisite direction...so free play changes as to which side drive is turned to...answers???????????thanks mark"

You have a probem with the ste

You have a probem with the steering cable probably. You will have to go into the inside of the transom and follow the movement on the steering arm of the motor. Your steering wheel gearing could be worn or the cable is seperated.

"Your problem is in the gimbal

"Your problem is in the gimbal ring. The ring is held up by the top steering shaft, and when not tightened often, they get loose and start falling down. also, If you can see any of the square shaft above the ring, it is bad. Move the outdrive side to side and look up at the top. The bottom of the steering shaft is seen. the ring turns while the steering shaft stays in place. I sell new rings."

I have an alpha 1 outdrive and it swings side to side but I see nothing moving inside the boat can't really see anything outside either what do I do

original post is from 2007.

Start a New post and give all the SPECIFICS for your boat.

Also what experience or lack of experience you have......

Back