Logo

318 cooling hose diagram

redbear

"I have a 318 raw water cooled

"I have a 318 raw water cooled originally,was on a volvo-penta outdrive. I am going to use it as a straight inboard with a velvetdrive. I need a diagram of the hose routing. it has the dual pocket pump,it has a manifold with 4 ports,2 of the hoses go to one side of the pump top and bottom,seems to pump in a loop. the front side of the pump is open on the bottom, top goes to front of engine.This is all new to me. thanks for any help RED"

"If that motor was run as a RW

"If that motor was run as a RW cooled motor, the interior will have rust everywhere. THis rust will flake off and plug your heat exchanger, resulting in overheating. Others have gotten away with it, but you might not. Something to consider...

Do you run in salt water or fresh?

Jeff"

"According to the diagram:

"According to the diagram:

79448.jpg
Diagram"">

The water comes in through the seacock,
then into the rear pump
Then into the high side of the manifolds,
Then into the oil cooler,
Then into the bottom of the front pump,
Then into the engine,
Then into the T-Stat,
If lower than rated temperature, it goes back into the manifolds, If above rated temperature, it goes into the exhaust elbows and overboard,

Make sure you have the copper tube in the exhaust manifolds so you don't get any large air pockets in the manifolds on the high end (front) of the engine.

Hope this helps. My original engine was just like this, I have since replaced the engine and installed a FWC kit.

Good luck.
Ken"

"thanks Jeff & Ken,but I a

"thanks Jeff & Ken,but I am still confused as my engine has a 4 port manifold at the intake of the pump,diagram sayes no bypass tee required.one hose goes to bottom of pump rear one hose goes to top of pump rear third hose goes to thermostat housing,fourth port is open.The hose shown on the diagram from engine to thermostat,goes to a port in the intake manifold.the hose shown going to the manifolds goes back into the water inlet manifold,looks like it pumps in a loop,very confusing,will try to take some pictures."

Back