Logo

Chrysler 360 Intake Manifold

liddlebit

"I have an oil leak from the i

"I have an oil leak from the intake manifold that sprays oil on to the fuel pump. I removed the manifold and re-installed with new gaskets to fix the problem. Now I have more problems.

1. Exhaust leak, Did not install both restrictors, it looked like the manifold had a built in restrictor on one side.

2. Still leaks oil from the front onto the fuel pump. I did not use the cork gaskets I use a high temp gasket product that comes in a can that you spray. It comes out in a quarter inch bead. I put a heavy amount on front and rear.

I did not notice any leaks in the slip, but under load and at temp leaks appeared.

Question:
What should I have done differently?
What is the best type of gasket sealer for this job?
What is the bolt torque for the intake manifold ?

Any help would be appreciated."

The only way I can help you ou

The only way I can help you out here is to give you a verbal spanking: Stop using "snake oil" and other "quick fixes" and by a set of proper intake gaskets! And don't even think of leaving out those metal plates that go in the gasket. The two pieces clip together about the hole in hte gasket to form a metal reinforcement.

Jeff

"I have done a 360 valley cove

"I have done a 360 valley cover before and used the gaskets that came with it and had no problem at all.

From memory there are two sponge like gaskets for the front and rear. If you left those out that is a problem.

Apart from the sealing properties the correct gaskets are necessary to provide the propper clearances and angle so that the manifold bolts down evenly between the heads, and seats correctly .

I do not have the manual with me now but I am sure a forum member can post the torque specs and tightening sequence which is just as important.

I have never had a great deal of sucess with any of those "wonder" gasket replacement products.

As far as the exhaust leak goes I assume its unrelated but is it water or gas?"

Thanks for the input. I did bu

Thanks for the input. I did buy the proper gasket set. Based on other input I left out the end peices and used RTV for the gasket and used the gaskets that mate to the head.

I will buy another gasket set. My other question should I use any RTV on the gaskets that mate the manifold to the head.

Thanks again.

"Use a dab of RTV where the en

"Use a dab of RTV where the end gaskets met the side gaskets, inhte corners.

Jeff"

Back