Logo

1990 Johnson 60 hp runs great up to 3000 rpm with load and then sputters and dies intermittently

N

northlander

My motor will run great until

My motor will run great until I hit the 3000 rpm mark then it sputters and dies. It might do it for the first few trips and then run fine the rest of the day. Thought fuel was an issue thinking more speed/load more fuel. So I check bowls for debris and found none. Fuel filter is clean. Checked elctrical connections and everything seems fine. Have taken in to local mechanic twice and he finds nothing but changes plugs for me. Happens under load not just reving the engine. Could really use some help here.

" This is a 3-cylinder isn&#39

" This is a 3-cylinder isn't it? How does it perform from a dead stop hole-shot? I would check compression and inspect the plugs as you might have a bad head gasket. If it is the head gasket one or more of the plugs will look very clean and white. You said you checked the bowls, but did you check the float and needle valves? Maybe one of those is sticking. Also, the culprit could be the high speed jets. Maybe there is debris in one of those that is restricting fuel flow.

A trick to determine fuel restrictions is to let the engine idle and one by one place two fingers over the throat of each carb. If the carb is operating properly the RPM will decrease and the engine may stall. If the RPM increases it means that carb has restricted fuel and is running lean. This may work at high idle (2000RPM) as well to determine high speed jet problems, but I've never used that trick quite like that. Either way, is a cheap easy way to rule out (or find) a problem.

Kevin "

" Took the boat in for service

" Took the boat in for service because I figured it was ignition issue. Here is what they replaced. The stator as when they had it out on the water, it quit on them and they found stator not working. After that was replaced, they found the sputter still and diagnosed the problem being the power pack. Putting this in to help others if they have similar issues.
John "

Back