Logo

69 Evinrude 85hp Problems

J

Joseph Staley

" I have a 1969 Evinrude 85hp

" I have a 1969 Evinrude 85hp Outboard. I bought the motor 2 years ago and it worked very well. But after 1 month it began to develop a problem that is only getting worse. When the motor is idling or running at slow speeds everything is fine... but when I try to go faster, the engine begins to "jump". It seems like the engine almost cuts off in a sputtering way. I have taken the motor to a mechanic after I could not resolve the problem and had the compression, and electrical system checked. No problems there. So I am guessing that it must be in the fuel line???? Any help would be greatly appreciated
-Joseph "

"Joseph..... "The engine b

"Joseph..... "The engine begins to jump" is a little hard to comprehend but I can think of only two things that may fall into that catagory. One would be due to a break in the wires that lead to the timer base under the flywheel. The timer base is designed to retard and advance the spark. The type of ignition system that you have was known at times to break one of the wires within the insulated portion of the lead into that timer base..... which would result in a make and break (intermittent) setup. This resulted in a case of perfect ignition at one speed, but at another speed, the wire(s) would part, flicking back and forth, causing a sparodic type ignition. This can be checked out with an ohm meter while moving the timer base back and forth.

The second thing that comes to mind is that the engine is running normally but a lower unit problem exists. If the problem you're experiencing feels like you're hitting a underwater object every so often (jumping), the lower unit would be jumping out of and back into gear. However, this is unlikely in your case as your engine has a "Hydro Electric Shift" system whereas if all current/voltage fails, the unit would shift into forward gear via a spring loaded shifter clutch dog.

If you could/would define your problem a little more clearly, perhaps we could be of greater help. What was the compression on all cylinders? Did the spark jump a 1/4" gap on all plug wires? Does the engine have a tendency to die or hesitate bad when throttle is applied.At what throttle setting does this problem appear... does the problem go away when the throttle is applied farther? Has it been sitting for any length of time... a couple months or so? Do all the spark plugs look the same?

As an afterthought.... with the s/plugs out, and the ignition key "ON", with the s/plug wires attached to nothing..... have someone crank the engine while you look at the ignition coil area to see if the spark mnay be jumping from the insulated portion of the coil to ground. Should this occurr, replace the coil

Joe
"

"Joseph..... "The engine b

"Joseph..... "The engine begins to jump" is a little hard to comprehend but I can think of only two things that may fall into that catagory. One would be due to a break in the wires that lead to the timer base under the flywheel. The timer base is designed to retard and advance the spark. The type of ignition system that you have was known at times to break one of the wires within the insulated portion of the lead into that timer base..... which would result in a make and break (intermittent) setup. This resulted in a case of perfect ignition at one speed, but at another speed, the wire(s) would part, flicking back and forth, causing a sparodic type ignition. This can be checked out with an ohm meter while moving the timer base back and forth.

The second thing that comes to mind is that the engine is running normally but a lower unit problem exists. If the problem you're experiencing feels like you're hitting a underwater object every so often (jumping), the lower unit would be jumping out of and back into gear. However, this is unlikely in your case as your engine has a "Hydro Electric Shift" system whereas if all current/voltage fails, the unit would shift into forward gear via a spring loaded shifter clutch dog.

If you could/would define your problem a little more clearly, perhaps we could be of greater help. What was the compression on all cylinders? Did the spark jump a 1/4" gap on all plug wires? Does the engine have a tendency to die or hesitate bad when throttle is applied.At what throttle setting does this problem appear... does the problem go away when the throttle is applied farther? Has it been sitting for any length of time... a couple months or so? Do all the spark plugs look the same?

As an afterthought.... with the s/plugs out, and the ignition key "ON", with the s/plug wires attached to nothing..... have someone crank the engine while you look at the ignition coil area to see if the spark mnay be jumping from the insulated portion of the coil to ground. Should this occurr, replace the coil

Joe
"

" Joe,
Thank you for your res

" Joe,
Thank you for your response! All four spark plugs jump a 1/4" gap and I tried taking the plugs out with the wires attatched to nothing... and I did not see a spark jump from the coil to the ground (I could be wrong)... and I did this at night. When I bought the motor it had been sitting up for awhile but ran fine at first. I am not sure whether you could describe the problem as "jumping" or not. It does seem that at high speeds the motor has hit a submerged object but I really think that is caused because the motor is stalling or sputtering. It used to JUST happen at high speeds but now when gas is applied being beyond idle speeds it could happen at any time... and now it so bad it is restricting any acceleration. And no... as the throttle is applied further, it only seems to get worse. All of the spark plugs are brand new so I can't report on their individual conditions. I don't know the compression on the individual cylinders, I just know that the mechanic that I took it to, said he tested them and that the compression was fine. Its almost as if (at high speeds) the engine stalls... and the water pushes back on the motor and then the motor kicks back in, and jumps back into the back of the boat. At low speeds, it just seems to sputter repetively, not allowing for acceleration. I know that I am probably being too vague... but I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you for your response again
-Joseph "

" The points may be "Float

" The points may be "Floating" That is, not closing at high speed. Try a closer gap setting. May need a drop of light oil or a new set if the spring is week. "

"Joseph.... Should you go into

"Joseph.... Should you go into the point settings as Dick has stated above, Do not go under the .010 setting which OMC has quoted as the proper setting, and make sure that when you reinstall the flywheel, you set the flywheel key vertical (not inline with the c/shaft taper) and torque the flywheel nut to an accurate 105 foot pounds. From what you've stated in your reply to my suggestions, I'm inclined to think that perhaps your carburetors have become fouled. Look at the bottom side of the float chanmbers (the bottom half of the carbs). You'll see a 7/16" hex bolt with a regular screwdriver slot in it. Beyond those bolts/screws, near the center of the carb is a high speed jet. Those jets can become clogged if the engine has set for awhile. If the backside of those screws are coated with varnish/gum/whatever, it's a pretty good bet that the H/S jets (two to a carb... total of 4) are restricting your fuel flow. Hard to tell if this type problem pertains to you but it's worth a looksee.

Joe
"

" I just wanted to let you kno

" I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate everyone's help. One more thing to ask...
Could there be a possibility that the problem is orginating from a faulty fuel pump? If so.. how do you know if the fuel pump is working properly. What is the best way to check it. Again, I appreciate everyone's help and I thank you.
-Joseph "

"Joseph.... You asked "how

"Joseph.... You asked "how do you know if the fuel pump is working properly?" The easiest way is to simply pump the fuel primer bulb while you're under way. When doing so, you are in fact acting as the fuel pump, forcing fuel through the regular fuel pump and to the carburetors. If the problem disappears when you do this, you've obviously got a faulty fuel pump, a air leak in the fuel line, a break in the line operating the regular pump, something of that nature.

Joe
"

" Joe,
Thanks again for every

" Joe,
Thanks again for everything... and I will let you know how everything goes. I really appreciate your help.
Joseph "

Back