Logo

Mariner 30 fuel mix probs or carb clean

S

Steve B

"<FONT COLOR=""0000ff"">Bought

"<FONT COLOR=""0000ff"">Bought a fully recon (new piston rings etc) 30hp last year which ran perfectly. Didn't get around to winterise it, but this year it started easily on old fuel (9 mths?). Next day topped up tank with fresh fuel and took it to the beach but it wouldn't start more than a few seconds. Back home I turned the idle screw up and it ran, but needed choke all the time to stop the revs taking off. I think it's running too lean. Can I just unscrew the pilot screw 1/4 turn to richen it or should I strip and clean the carb? Would old fuel have foulled jets etc?</FONT>

Thanks, Steve"

" Had the Same problem with a

" Had the Same problem with a 20 hp Mercury. Gas was just 6 months old. You will need to pull the carb and clean it. That should solve your problem. Next time, add a fuel treatment that will save the fuel. "

"<FONT COLOR=""0000ff"">I was

"<FONT COLOR=""0000ff"">I was hoping nobody would say that, but if that's what it takes..!

Trouble is there's nowhere (legal!) to ditch the old fuel, and I understand it can ruin your cat if you put it in the car. 'Losing' the fuel has got to be less hassle than rebuilding the carb though.

Thanks for your help,
Steve</FONT>"

You will still need to check

You will still need to check the carb to make sure it is clear. You do not want to run that outboard with a fouled carb. It could lean out and burn up the engine. I also had to dispose of a few(12) gallons of fuel. Call a few service stations in your area and ask if they know how to dispose or recycle your fuel.
GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN on the Water

Back