Logo

Locked and flooded

T

TJW

I've got a johnson 14hp.&

I've got a johnson 14hp.(HJ14RSLF) Mechanic says it is locked and flooded(water and rust in engine). How much sounds like a resonable price to pay to have this fixed? I know the engine's worth at least $500 in good working condition... just trying to decide what to do with it...
thanks
-Landlocked in Florida

" TJW... The bottom line that

" TJW... The bottom line that you are coming across with is that the engine is frozen solid due to being underwater.... or ingested with water for whatever reason.

I can't locvate that model number, but I assume the engine is old? If so, read on.

The worth of the engine ($500 as you state) will be reached in no time at all labor wise as most shops that I've seen lately charge roughly $65.00 per hour, possibly more. The cost of parts (if they can be found) or machine work to restore the quality of rusted parts will also be costly.

I'd suggest that you take this project on as a hobby, taking pictures, make notes, as you dismantle it yourself, then sort out what can be salvaged and cleaned up, and what must be replaced or machined. At that point, you'll have a pretty good idea what to do with it.

If it results in a total loss pertaining to internal components damaged beyond repair, it could always be restored to perfection externally as a conversation piece.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

Back