Logo

Chrysler LM318

J

Jay D

What is the difference betwee

What is the difference between the Chrysler LM318 and the LA318. We are looking to replace our engines in our boat. All of the Chryslers we find are LA's and not LM's. We are trying to figure out if we should rebuild what we have or if we should buy remans. Thanks.

" My advice is...rebuild what

" My advice is...rebuild what you have. It will cost $3000 for a pair of rebuilt long blocks, then add the accessories. Look up rebuilt marine 318s on the internet and you will find a couple of companies. I know the difficulties in trying to find a decent 318, I have been looking hard for months to find a complete decent running motor anywhere on the West Coast. My situation is that I bought a boat missing one engine completely, so I can't go the rebuild option...I need all the attachments. "

" Thanks, I thing that's w

" Thanks, I thing that's what we are going to do, new rings, valve seals,bearings, gaskets, ect. Both engines run great. We just want to make sure everything is right before we put her in the water. "

" Jay, if your motors are salt

" Jay, if your motors are salt water cooled you would be a fool to rebuild unless you replace your block with a junkyard automotive that has not seen salt water.The water jackets can give out at any time especialy when the have been torn down and cleaned.Take it from somebody who is in the process of doing it twice. "

" John,
the engines are fresh

" John,
the engines are fresh water cooled. Both run good but without knowing the actual hours & use we thought it wise to go through both engines & transmissions before we put the boat in the water. We basically wanted to know the difference between a LM & A LA engine? We assume that the M is for marine & the A is for automotive, is this a correct assumption? If so, what are the differences? Thicker block or heads, different metal content? "

Jay according to my research

Jay according to my research you are right about the letter designations.And if those blocks are fresh water cooled they should have plenty of life in them. Good Luck!

Back