Logo

Johnson 80 starts up runs 12 secs caughs and stops

B

Bil N.

" Hi,

I tried to do my home

" Hi,

I tried to do my homework before posting this message. i.e. checking existing messages etc. Actually I remember sometime ago, someone else asked a similar question on the same outboard (then I did not have the problem), but I can't find it. Possibly it expired and erased.

I have this outboard Johnson, it is:

Year=1992
HP = 8.0
Model = J8RENM
Assembled in Belgium.

Recently (after a winter break), I tried to use it, but it would not work. I have to admit, I have not done the wintering well. It starts up, runs 1-2 seconds then coughs and stops. There is NO water circulation.

I do not live in the US. Here everybody has Yamaha and local mechanics are quick to give advice on my choice of brand, rather than repairing (they blame trouble getting parts). As I mentioned, I am happy with Johnson , which served me well until recently.

I have raised another thread earlier about part numbers and Joe (Thanks!) answered. But I should have sent this message before asking for specific parts. Before I order the parts, I would like to be sure that I order the parts (from US) which are the cause of the problem... If I order wrong ones, then I am stuck for some more time.

Any help is appreciated...
Thanks. "

" Bil.... I remember your prev

" Bil.... I remember your previous message. From what you've said here, I would assume that the carburetor has gummed, fouled up somewhat over the Winter, and a carburetor kit would be needed. If you're lucky enough to be able to clean the carb without using parts, so much to the better. Bottom line is that you'll need that carb kit sooner or later and it's a good idea to have one on hand to avoid a delay in boating.

The engine is not going to fill the water passages in a second or two so the water pump failure is an unknown. However the same scenario holds true which is.... you'll need it sooner or later etc etc.

Note... Better to install a complete w/pump kit when it fails rather than just an impeller as it's possible for a score in the impeller plate or housing to kick up a air pocket.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

Back