Logo

OMC 38 power loss

• Thread starter Jerry Dabkowski
  • Start date
J

Jerry Dabkowski

" I have an 84 Wellcraft with

" I have an 84 Wellcraft with a 3.8 v6. Normally runs great; however, last week it experienced an rpm loss (from 4200 to 3000, gradually over 5 minutes) while outrunning a storm. I changed the fuel/water sep. filter, no change. I did notice a bit of a miss. It seems to happen after the boat has been running for 10 - 15 minutes. Is there another filter I may have missed on/in the tank? "

" Jerry,
Those symtoms s

" Jerry,
Those symtoms sound like a coil. You should check the points and condenser first. I'd then replace the condenser alone and see how it runs.Replace the distributor cap and rotor if it hasnnot been done lately in any case. Replacing the componates 1 or 2 at a time will help you se where the problem is.
Eddie "

" exhaust systems in boats are

" exhaust systems in boats are water jacketed and valves hate water expecially sea water. Do a compression test. It's easy to do your self and cheap. A kit only costs $25. You are looking for a cylinder with less pressure than the others, or may be two. You may have burt or sticking valve. It's common on marine engines. Check the oil for water and water in the cylinders. You may have a bad riser, head gasket, etc. "

Back