Logo

How long does a water pump impeller last

rick

Regular Contributor
" When I went to pick up my 19

" When I went to pick up my 1972 Evinrude 85 hp today after a new power pack was installed, the mechanic asked me how old the water pump was. I told him that it's the original, so it's 30 yrs old. He said I might want to think about a new impeller, to save the nuisance of having it die at a very inopportune time. Even though this goes against my "if it's not broke - don't fix it philosphy" and having read just recently how the impeller flexes at various speeds, so thinking of how many times the thing has flexed over the years....I gave in and said to go ahead and replace it. Being that it's an electric shift and I guess that makes it a more difficult replacement...Do you think I did the right thing, or should I have waited until it died and replaced it then? FYI, the motor is used up here in Minnesota where the lakes are fresh water and usually pretty crystal clear, so degrading from abrasion of suspended solids isn't usually an issue. "

" I was always told to replace

" I was always told to replace them every two to three years depending on use. I had one quit after five years and cooked a motor so in my case, better safe than sorry. I agree with the dont fix it slogan, but impellers should be considered preventive maintenance, like changing oil in a car, etc. Thats my 2 cents. Kim "

" WOW Rick,

I am impressed,

" WOW Rick,

I am impressed, if the old impeller ran for more than 5 yrs, I would label it and frame it.
I chnage the impellers on my twin engine boat sometimes twice a year, that is staying out of the sand bars too. Watch the flow of water and the temp gauge but for safety sake's, You were due!

Pete "

" WOW Rick,

I am impressed,

" WOW Rick,

I am impressed, if the old impeller ran for more than 5 yrs, I would label it and frame it.
I change the impellers on my twin engine boat sometimes twice a year, that is staying out of the sand bars too. Watch the flow of water and the temp gauge but for safety sake's, You were due!

Pete "

" Well, they changed impellers

" Well, they changed impellers and guess what....the old one looked great. The rubber is still soft & pliable. No cracks, anywhere. It looks like the day it was installed 30 yrs ago. I'm keeping it as a spare. "

Say - can any of yu help me.

Say - can any of yu help me. We have aquired an old 1968 100HP Johnson Meteor. Have new water pump housing and impeller - trouble is - can work out how to get to the water pump. For the life of us wwe can see what has to be undone to get at it. Does the prop have to come off or what.
thank you
MARGUSTINE

"Rick,
Your old impellar stil

"Rick,
Your old impellar still looks good b/c back in the day they were made of a higher quality material. Many aftermarket impellars are still good quality but depending on the brand you went with it is vital that you change it at least every 3 to 5 years. And your lower unit is very easy to take down. You can change the impellar yourself along with changing the lower unit oil in a matter of an hours time at the longest. Also, check the lower unit oil for water. It will be milky if there is water present. I say this b/c the seals in your lower unit may start leaking, it happens over time to all motors. This is a good motor you have. Be proud of it and give it the attention it needs. Keep up on the "preventive maintnance" and it will serve you well. Also, pick up a repair guide for it. You will find most repairs are not very difficult and it will save you money. If you have a son, it can be a great father/son project also! Good luck. any questions contact me [email protected]"

Back