Logo

Volvo Penta Marine AQ130 differences

J

Jeremy Poole

"Anyone out there able to tell

"Anyone out there able to tell me the differences between the A,B,C and D versions of the Volvo Penta AQ130 B20 four cylinder engines, mine has dual Solex, round opening, carbs and the serial number is 33249/51753.

I am in the process of rebuilding mine and there are no markings on the block telling me which version this is. I contacted Volvo Penta Canada with the serial number but their data base does not have that info. Any info would be appreciated. [email protected]"

" My workshop manual (clym

" My workshop manual (clymer b770) only lists AQ130C & D, not A & B. C & D are B20B volvo engines. It doesn't give any information on the differences (it does say that they are same piston/bore size). I'll be interested to see any postings on this subject from more knowlegable volvo people. "

" AQ130A: Used with the 100 an

" AQ130A: Used with the 100 and 250 series drive, ran 9.5:1 compression ratio and used Stromberg carbs. Rated at 130 hp.

AQ130B: Same as above but ran 8.4:1 compression ratio. Rated at 115 hp.

AQ130C: Used with the 250 and 270 series drive, ran 9.5:1 compression ratio and used Solex 44PA1 carbs. Rated at 130 hp.

AQ130D: Used with the 280 series drive, ran 9.0:1 compression ratio and used Solex 44PA2 carbs. Rated at 130 hp.

Karl "

" Thank you Karl, your a schol

" Thank you Karl, your a scholar and a gentleman!

Turns out mine is the C. Now, according to the local marine parts place, I will have to re-mortgage the house to buy the rebuild parts!! lol "

" I just bought a boat, it has

" I just bought a boat, it has the AQ130C Engine, will volvo car engine work/fit, if so which ones? And what all needs to be changed?
This is my first inboard boat, so im not that familiar with them. The engine in the boat now has a hole burned in a piston.

Thanks
Gary "

I'm desperately looking f

I'm desperately looking for a manual on the Volvo Penta AQ 130. Anyone has any idea where I can get it? I'd appreciate any hint. Thanks.
Wellington

" Would like to know the firin

" Would like to know the firing order of the AQ 130C? I just had both the engines rebuilt, cost me around 3,000. "

" Hi Wellington, I just bough

" Hi Wellington, I just bought a manual at U.S. Boats. It's by Seloc and covers Stern Drives from 1968-91. The AQ 130 is listed within this manual. They have a website www.selocmarine.com, that may help you locate a place to purchase it. "

My Volvo Penta is an AQ130C a

My Volvo Penta is an AQ130C and most hard parts off a 1975 240 series street motor will transfer. You will find out real quick what was used on the boats vs. the cars. Many dumb looks thrown my way looking for hard to find parts. Anybody know where I can get carb kits for those Solex junks on my boat? Good luck to all

i'm looking for the carbu

i'm looking for the carburators or carburator kit for my solex 44 pa1. I have a volvo penta aq130 b20. if anyone have imformation about it would be appreciated. thank's.
LUCHO.-

I am installing a used aq130 c

I am installing a used aq130 c on my 1981 bayline explorer. I don't have the line that goes from the raw water pump to the oil cooler deos anyone know where i might find it? I'm not for sure that's where it goes does anyone know for sure?

hi i have a volvo penta aq130c

hi i have a volvo penta aq130c inboard with dual solex carbs. i am really struggling to find the float bowl cover for it. or if that is not possible a whole carburator please help...

"AQ130 C, I just installed a n

"AQ130 C, I just installed a new electonic igntion on my boat it works great. Marine approved Easy to install fits different models. Check it out @ www.123ignition.nl need help I've learned quit a bit about this motor I've replaced just about everything It has like 20 different settings depending on the Distriburator you have, its High Tech"

"Hello all, I have a boat I ke

"Hello all, I have a boat I keep in Alaska it has two AQ130s. At this time one is a C and the other is a D series. The motors run out fine but we are learning about weaknesses in the cylinder heads: cracks between valve seats. Does anyone know of successful repairs being made? how about new or aftermarket heads ? I have purchased several complete engines just to try to keep my two going, so I have a few excess parts if anyone is interested.}
Also, these motors have thr Solex carbs with the round flame arrestors inside of a rectangular metal air box. I notice the breather mounts on the carbs (3 of 4 for 4 carbs) are cracked, I think from the heavy air box. What is the box really supposed to do? Is it relly needed? (My mercuisers never had anything like this).
I'm considering running w/out the box and just keep the flame arrestors on the carbs, any thoughts? -Sid"

Hey I am getting the boat read

Hey I am getting the boat ready and need to put the props back on. I have Volvo Penta Drive with Dual Props. I didn't mark them when I took them off and realize they may have to go back on a certain way to function properly. Is there a certain way they must be alligned in order to work properly? Thanks

i have an aq130d the pistons a

i have an aq130d the pistons are stamped with d 59/6 8 bolt crank. i have another block i am trying to use 1973 b20 6 bolt automotive engine the pistons are stamped 7 1/4. I have been told both motors use the same rings which would be reasonable if they are the same size piston?. does anybody know if these pistons are the same size? one metric 1 non metric? thanks

"i have a 1961 bb70 volvo pent

"i have a 1961 bb70 volvo penta, cannot find points or other parts for distributor tried finding elect. ignition with no luck.Does anybody know if a distributor out of a aq130 or any other would work? thanx"

"Hi Guys,
I was wondering if

"Hi Guys,
I was wondering if you would know what the maximum revs for the AQ130 with a 100 series outdrive. Mine currently revs to 4500 and I've been told thats too high?"

"Hi all, I just purchased a 19

"Hi all, I just purchased a 1979 Bayliner with a Junk Volvo engine AQ130D, Anyone have a motor to sell? The model # on the block is AQ 130 D/ 280. Directly under those numbers are 10312/136306. The motor is a inline 4 cyln. dual carbs."

Hi does anyone know the oil pa

Hi does anyone know the oil pan drain plug size and threading for the AQ130? Thanks!

"Can anyone help me with knowl

"Can anyone help me with knowledge of how to wire, distributor point, condencer, coil ignition system on a volvo penta 130 1977?"

"Hi, I have a 1975 AQ130c and

"Hi, I have a 1975 AQ130c and have replaced fuelpump,filter,impeller,wires,plugs,points,belt,carbs rebuilt,alternator rebuilt,starter rebuilt,compression is 110 in each cyl. runs great at middle to high ranger, will not run at an idle!!!!! Anyone{sugessions?}"

"Compression is too low, it sh

"Compression is too low, it should be 170-200 psi. Do a leakdown test to find out if the compression loss is through rings or through valves; then you will know what your next step should be."

"Thank you for the fast reply

"Thank you for the fast reply to my message on Aug. 11. You were right on about the compression, did the leakdown test, and the valves, pistons, and head are pretty much shot. Before I aquired the boat the engine was rebuilt,and will not be rebuilt again. Where can I find a factory rebuilt AQ 130 C engine to go with all the new parts I put on the old block? Thanks again, Ron"

hi any one help i have a volvo

hi any one help i have a volvo penta 170 fitted in a winner viscount 23 foot it runs fine out of gear but as soon as i put it in gear and open the throtle it wont rev above 2000 r.p.m.i have canged the plugs points and cheked the throtle opens fully on all three carbs any one help me please.

"El, Thanks again for your hel

"El, Thanks again for your help on the volvo Aq 130 C engine,it is going to be rebuilt. Maybe you can shed some ligth on the boat the engine is in. It was built by Nowak & Williams, designed by Don Aaronow (donzi) It"s 18 ft. with an 8 ft beam. Call a seaotter. I can"t find out how many were built and who out there may still have one. Anyone??"

Back