Logo

Help with my 351W inboard on a ski boat

jim

" I have a problem with low po

" I have a problem with low power on the take off of my ski boat. It only has 110 hours on the new long block, I have replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, and wires, along with a new Edelbrock 650! I cannot get the hole shot that I should have. Please help! "

" Id check your timing and adv

" Id check your timing and advance, and if all is well in that dept maybe fool with the prop some. Give me some history, was it OK before the rebuild? Has the new carb been dialed in? Kim "

" Kim, I have attempted to dia

" Kim, I have attempted to dial in the new carb. I have changed the rods in an attempt to lean out the mix on the initial hole shot. One thing I have noticed is that I have good control once planed out, but very little power on take off. I dont have a great deal of history. I was assured that the timing is in order. I have contacted Edelbrock and they are helping with the carb. When I got the boat a few months ago and was changing the dist cap, I found that one of the springs was broken so I replaced it, the only problem is that is seems different then the other spring. Are they supposed to be the same tension? And the Prop is in good shape, no major nics or dings in it. "

" By replacing the spring with

" By replacing the spring with something different you may have altered the timing advance or the rate of advance. I suggest you put two new springs of the proper style on and try her out. As far as the carb, get the timing right first. Dont go too lean on the acceleration as that is when you need fuel most. Its a science, but keep trying and you will get her. Ask away if you get stuck and if anyone else out there has an idea, chime in,Kim. "

I have the new springs and ha

I have the new springs and have a new timing light. I plan to do some testing this evening. Do you have any ideas on how to properly dial in the carb. The reason that I went lean on the initial adjustment was because I thought that I detected a heavy fuel smell. I am probably wrong on my assumption that I should go leaner.

" Im not sure for that carb, b

" Im not sure for that carb, but we always adjusted them for high end, and never had an issue with accelleration as long as the accellerator pump on the carb was OK and it was not so lean that it starved for fuel when we punched it.Start with the timing thing and maybe your carb is OK???Good Luck and post your results. Kim "

" Kim, I found out that the sp

" Kim, I found out that the springs in the distributor were the wrong ones. I put in the new ones and now it seems to be better. I am going to put the old rods back in the carb to undo the leaning out that I did. I tried it last night and it seems to be getting better. "

" What size mufflers are you l

" What size mufflers are you looking for?

Dania Marine 1-800-748-7739 call for info or parts.

Thanks, Gabriel "

" look at your prop pitch befo

" look at your prop pitch before any engine mods, sounds like you are over pitched. Find out what your rpm should be and pitch for that. This should give you a good baseline to work from. "

"I have a 1981 Ski Supreme wit

"I have a 1981 Ski Supreme with a Ford 351 Windsor motor. I am having trouble starting the boat after it has been run for awhile. It just will not start again until the engine has cooled down dramatically. Any ideas anyone?
Is it possibly my starter? I did have it tested and the auto parts store and they said it was fine. But again, it was cold."

Back