Logo

1964 ELGIN 35 hp

J

john papadonis

" I have restored a 1964 3.5hp

" I have restored a 1964 3.5hp elgin. It runs great with one exception:
To get it to start cold, I have had to add gas to the cylinder or pull many times. The carb was disassembled and cleaned out thoroughly. I am not quite sure of where the correct position of the float should be. Is it better slightly up or slightly down. I am apparently not getting gas into the cylinder on the first couple of pulls. Once it starts....it runs fine and restarts with one pull. "

" John, I can think of a numbe

" John, I can think of a number of possibilities: Cylinder compression needs to be at least 60 psi. 80 is better for reasonable starting. Crank case compression: may be lost if the top or bottom crank bearings are worn. Hard to test except by wiggling the crank and seeing if there is play. More than .003" side play and you will loose compression. I think the Elgin has a reed plate behind the carb. If that does not seal completely it will loose crankcase compression and give hard starting. Only fix is a new reed. They are very delicate. All these symptoms can be helped a bit by using a heavier oil in the gas mix. Use 3/4 pint of 30 wt straight two cycle oil per gallon, not modern TCW III oils. That does not fix it but may make it a bit easier to start. Also what ever mechanism it has to choke may not be working. Art "

Back