Logo

Evinrude 140 rebuild cost

K

Kevin Johnson

" I'm looking for a little

" I'm looking for a little bigger boat that I can remodel this winter and have found a 17'6" V-hull that has an evinrude 140 (appears to be an early 80's model from the paint scheme). The price is right on the rig...$200 including EZ-Loader trailer. I have yet to inspect the engine, but they said it was "bad". Now, how bad that might be is unknown. I can see from the road that it DOES NOT have trim and tilt (yikes).

So, before I look seriously into this boat, I would like to get a general idea of repair costs. How much am I looking at for a complete powerhead rebuild on this V-4. I would do the carb work myself, but I would leave the internals to a mechanic. Let's also assume the electronics are bad. What would it cost to replace powerpacks, stator and rectifier. If the lower unit is bad, what would it cost for a major fix there.

I realize it's tough to give solid numbers for such broad questions, but if I can determine ballpark figures, that would help in my decision.

Finally, I have a 1978 Johnson 70HP that does have trim and tilt. Would that T&T fit into the transom bracket of the 'Rude 140 and can it handle that bigger motor? I know my unit is in great shape and that would save me a bunch of money.

If the motor is too bad I would obviously scrap it and look for something already rebuilt or a newer, used engine.

Thanks,
Kevin "

" I'm not sure how helpful

" I'm not sure how helpful this is, but I've just had a Johnson 140 re-built. 1 new and 3 used pistons, block re-machined, new bearings all round, new gaskets. Cost $1400.00. He did the carbs too for that price. Oh yea, that's Canadian $'s. I've put a couple of hours on it and it feels good.

On the T&T, I don't know. "

Figure $50 to bore each hole

Figure $50 to bore each hole

$200 for each piston and ring set

$140 for the Gasket set

$90 for the waterpump

$27 each for the carb kits

Labour runs $487.50 at our shop

Cost will of course increase as you start adding Brg's.

These are Canadian prices aswell.

Back