Logo

1996 JOHNSON FASTSTRIKE STARTING PROBLEMS ANYONE

P

paul casteel

I have a 1996 Johnson 150 Fas

I have a 1996 Johnson 150 FastStrike motor with a starting problems. Some days you can go out and turn the engine over and it will start on the first try. The next time you try to start it you will get no response. The first attempt at repair I changed the kill switch. I just replaced it because someone had put but splices to wire it in. One wire on the blk/yel and one to blk/wht. I have soldered these in and added heat shrink. The next attempt was on suggestion from OMC dealer and I replaced the iginition switch with a new one. He said that mine had the white paint so it should have not been the problem switches from the problem erea. I also had evidence of the blk/yel and the yel/red wires in the disconnect for the switch being burnt. I reterminated these with a Amphonal military water tight connector to no avail. I tried to start it and it did its favorate no starting trick. After about 20 trys the engine did fire. We questioned the power pack but the problem usualy only happens when the first start of the day. I have had the engine after the first start die on the first throttle up and not start immediatly there after. Once you get the first start for the day it does not seem to have a problem starting the rest of the day. I have pulled the plug wires off when it would not start and appears not to have any fire. The engine does to appear to miss (spits) occasionaly when just idling around with no throttle imput. We just can not verify the problem as such as if it won't fire on the lake by the time I can drive five miles to the nearest shop it will start no problem even with three cyclinders unpluged on a spark tester. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. I missed a trip today and I have a three week waiting period before I can get it in the shop. Thanks

" Paul.... Check the primer so

" Paul.... Check the primer solenoid to make sure that it is operating properly. If it is not engaging when you push the key in (Key on and cranking), there is no fuel entering the intake manifold area.

Think of it as a engine that has an electric choke. Trying to start a cold engine without a operating choke would give one quite a hassle!

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

" Joe, I don't know enoug

" Joe, I don't know enough about these outboards but I can find parts with a little help. Where exactly is the primer solenoid and should I be looking for it to engage when key is pushed in. This sounds like the problem that my father-in-law had so it may be the fix. It good to have someone that will share knowledge Thanks.
Paul "

"Paul... You have a main fuel

"Paul... You have a main fuel line leading to the VRO fuel/oil pump, and one line leading out of the VRO pump to a manifold of sorts with various fuel lines leading off of it that lead to the carburetors (same size fuel line).

On that manifold, there will be one smaller line that leads to the fuel primer solenoid. The primer solenoid will be located in the front carburetor section of the engine, it will be black in color, barrel shaped, about 1-1/4" round and about 2" long. There will be a RED lever on the top end of it. That lever is in the automatic (electric actuated) position when it is facing back down along the solenoid.

If that lever is facing away from the solenoid, that is the manual prime/choke position which will allow fuel to flow directly through it without any input from the operator.

I strongly advise you to purchase a service manual (as below) for that engine to avoid expensive errors.

<http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/johnson/>

Joe
"

" Joe,
Thanks for your hel

" Joe,
Thanks for your help I was already a step ahead on the manual I ordered it today, being a aircraft mechanic I don't have the experience on outboards. One question though I have pulled the front cover on the carbs and see the red indicator should this move when key is on or should I put this in the down position. If not is there and easy way to tell if the part is operating. I noticed that when I looked over the motor for loose connections and did not know what it was. Thanks again for the information and suggestions.
Paul "

"Paul... The RED lever does no

"Paul... The RED lever does not move when when the key is pushed in (primer/choke engaged). The electrical movement is internal.

You can test the solenoid by tracing where the small lines from the solenoid lead to, and remove one of those lines. Pump the fuel primer bulb up hard. There should not be any fuel flowing out of that line. Now, keeping pressure on the fuel primer bulb, turn the key on, then push the key in. Fuel should shoot out of that line as soon as you push the key in.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" Joe,

I'm still wai

" Joe,

I'm still waiting on the manual but, I had a few questions. The small lines that you spoke of are they the two lines that run to the carbs? My motor has the large line that runs to the bottom of the box that the solenoid is attached. There is one small line (1/8") that runs down to a white screw in unit with two wires out of the front. The box has two (3/8") lines that run to the fuel rail on each side of the carbs. There is one vent line on top of this box that runs to the air cleaner. I think that I pulled the wrong one being the 1/8" line running to the white valve. I had the primer bulb pumped up and when I released this one fuel flowed out of it. When I checked the primer bulb and pumped it it sprayed fuel. I take it that maybe I should have removed the fuel lines from the carb manifolds. Thanks again. I will keep you informed.
Paul "

Back