Logo

A challenge to those out there

E

erussell

" I have a problem with my Chr

" I have a problem with my Chrysler 318 that has me running in circles. I have consulted with several knowledgeable parties including one who rebuilds 318s, yet noone has been able to get it. Maybe you can...

The engine starts and runs rough. It idles low(around 400RPM). The timing when cold jumps from 2d BTDC to off the chart. Finally the timing settles after a minute or two at 30 degrees BTDC. You can power up to 1200RPMs before the engine start to suck wind and try to die.

This is a counter-rotating Starboard engine. The distributor runs clockwise(which threw me for a while until someone told me that's how they are supposed to run. The prop shaft rotates the prop clockwise if you are under the boat facing the propellor.

After a few minutes it dies. It does not choke out it dies suddenly. I've tried turning the distributor but it starts to die out whenever I turn it too far in either direction. Clockwise should help based upon the timing, but it doesn't.

All electrical has checked out barring a problem with the distributor itself. A current thought is a problem with the mechanical advance.

I know the answer is in the fact that the engine when first started shows the timing mark as speratic...and then settles in at way before TDC. Its off the scale, you see the mark at about 11:45 on the Harmonic if you are staring face to face.

Any pearls of wisdom?

BTW---Model# is LM318BWR10-368

Thanks,

Eric "

Was this just rebuilt?
Have

Was this just rebuilt?
Have you verified all timing marks are lined correctly? Are timing chain and or gears all in proper spec? Is dist. in correct position?
Make sure dist. bushings are not worn allowing flutter

" May be difficult to detect,

" May be difficult to detect, But make sure your harmonic balancer hasn't slipped on its hub or your harmonic balancer key is not sheared. Any of these problems would cause more vibration than rough idle.
Dania Marine 1-800-748-7739

Gabriel "

Electronic ignition modules &

Electronic ignition modules (post 1973? for the 318) can cause eratic timing and intermittently fail - just a thought. Aldo

" How about dirty or cracked d

" How about dirty or cracked distributer cap, faulty or improperly adjusted points or a bad condenser.

What about carberator problems causing the dying unrelated to the timing issue. Engine runs with the choke closed but can't get gas when the choke or the throttle opens. "

Back