Logo

Electronic Ignition Conversion

P

Pete Connors

Anyone have any ideas (Pr

Anyone have any ideas (Pros vs. Cons) on the value of converting a couple of 1985 350 Crusaders to electronic ignition. I've been told that points are more reliable in a salt water environment? Thanks

" Pete,
The way I see it e

" Pete,
The way I see it electronic ignition is say 99% reliable and a point system , well maintained, is 97% reliable. Along with the fact that you might introduce a weak spot in the installation itself what are you gaining? As far as points being more reliable in a salt water inviorment I don't know but I don't think it's a critical difference. What I like about points is
when I have a failure it will probably cost me a wopping $10 to fix and is fairly easy for a shade tree mechanic to diagnose. If I were you I'd replace the ignition componants in a timely manner, stick the money you saved in your wallet, and take a spin on your boat instead of experimentig with your ignition.

Eddie "

"I'm on fresh water, but c

"I'm on fresh water, but converted my 1980 GM 305K to Pertronix ignition nearly three years ago. It's operated flawlessly since. If it were to fail it would probably be unrepairable, however, so I keep my points and condenser onboard in a sealed baggie just in case.

So why do it? More accurate timing, giving slightly improved engine performance over the average (not perfectly maintained and tuned) points ignition. The Pertronix unit doesn't eliminate normal maintenance on things like distributor caps, wires, plugs, etc., and still needs a good unworn distributor to get the full benefit.

My guess is that if a salt water environment caused problems with one system, it would also cause problems with the other.

"

I converted my my engine 4 ye

I converted my my engine 4 years ago and couldn't be more pleased. Timing stays right on and the engine idles more smoothly. Also improved economy. The conversion cost $120 and is worth every penny in point maintenance and improved economy.

Back