Logo

Volvo 290 trim problems

james

Contributing Member
" We just replaced the hydraul

" We just replaced the hydraulic hoses on our Volvo Penta 290 drive. We bled the system and the drive now moves up and down without a problem. We left the drive up over night and it did not drop. When the drive is in the down locked position, we can rise it with our hands.

We don't know if the problem is in the lift cylinders or the pump valve body O-ring or if we have a defective safety value. Has anyone had this problem before? Thanks "

" What year is your 290 drive?

" What year is your 290 drive?
Some of the earlier ones in the 80's had a mechanical reverse lock mechanism to lock down the drive. If you need help identifying it, just give us a call at Dania Marine 1-800-748-7739

thanks, Gabriel "

" It's a 1987.
To add a l

" It's a 1987.
To add a little more info, we can move the drive to any position and still lift up with our hand. It then drops back to the position we lifted (started) from. It feels like the cylinders are moving freely. The pawl is still locked as it moves. We still see no sign of fluid leakage.

Thanks for you help! "

" Dear Sir:

When the

" Dear Sir:

When the drive is raised, the drive will not lock for reverse: When the drive is down,
then the drive should lock for reverse...

The first and foremost thing to do is to
by the shop manual for the 290...then you have
to check your lock spring for the locking
mechanism...if you look at the back of the
intermediate housing you will see a hook device
which locks the drive for reverse, it is a whole
system, which is unlocked when you raise the drive, the plunger pushes a little metal knob, and unlocks the drive...

The locking device for the 290 is not really the
best system, and requires continuing maintenance
for good operation.

In many cases some of those small parts making up the lock system bcome weared, and need
replacing, to replace some of the parts you
have to dissassemble the drive...I know it sounds
complicated but with the book, it is not that
bad...because I had to do it on my 24' Cruiser...
with an AQ260A (350 Chevy with a Ford Distributor. "

First check your lock spring.

First check your lock spring...if you're lucky
you can replace the spring and that could solve
the problem...

" I have been having the same

" I have been having the same problem of late, (Bayliner 2550 1986 V/P 260/290 Standard tilt) My motor and pump looks brand new. But when I move the toggle up to tilt the outdrive all I hear is the motor humming, and the outdrive will not tilt up. I am also not sure what kind of hydraulic fluid I should use to "top off" the pump. Is the Mericruiser type fluid acceptable? Or is it better to buy Volvo Penta fluid because of its viscosity and weight. "

" James,

On the 290 outdr

" James,

On the 290 outdrive (standard tilt) there is a separate collar that pushes the outdrive up in order to tilt. However the neat little thing about the swedes is they thought about what would happen when you hit bottom. The drive is meant to be flexible to a point that if you hit bottom it will tilt up and not drag the drive in the mud. ( if you have the rack and pinion on the steering helmet of the drive you have this neat little feature) The hydraulics are connected to the collar, and not the drive itself. Explaining why you can lift the actual drive by hand. "

Back