Logo

Starter and electrical help needed on 60 Evinrude 40hp

mike

Regular Contributor
" It has an electric starter ,

" It has an electric starter ,after a few times of trying to start it ,with about 10 rotations of the motor per try,the speed of the starter slows noticeably.even with a fully charged battery.I changed the battery cables to the solenoid but not the one from the solenoid to the starter since it is in a harness.I did take off the ends of the cable from the starter to the solenoid and cleaned them for a good connection but the cable is old and shows it.I have been thinking about bypassing it with another cable but this cable is thicker than the ones I have seen ,and I am not sure if it is a bad starter and the cable is doing its job fine.Has anyone had this problem or know what I should do to correct it?Any help is greatly appreciated. Mike "

"Mike.... If you have a bad or

"Mike.... If you have a bad or loose cable, the cable in question will get quite hot, in a very short length of time, near the faulty area. I would suggest to use a good set of jumper cables to bypass the original cables. Connect the jumper cables from a good battery to (black -) to a good powerhead ground, and (positive +) to the battery side of the solenoid. If, with that connection, you still have that problem, I'd suspect the starter.

Joe
"

" Thanks Joe,I am a little con

" Thanks Joe,I am a little confused on what a good powerhead ground would be since it is aluminum.On my v8 boat the ground goes to the bolt on the transmission,engine union.I have replaced the 2 battery cables from the battery to the electrical box,one to a ground in the box,and one to the solenoid battery side.The one that is old goes from the other side of the solenoid to the starter,but it is inside a harness covered in a thich rubber covering,I would like to bypass this one but am not sure if inside the rubber it splices off to power the ignition,or if anything else would stop me from doing this.Thanks again Joe .Mike "

"Mike.... Aluminum is a perfec

"Mike.... Aluminum is a perfect conductor of electricity, so any spot on that powerhead where the jumper cables would have a good grabbing point would be a good ground. The battery cables that go through the harness are a straight through shot and do not branch off to anything. The ignition is self contained (magneto ignition). Pertaining to the J8 s/plug that you mention in another message.... DO NOT use that J8 spark plug as it the heat range is hot enough to cause piston damage.

Joe
"

" I will be replacing the j8,a

" I will be replacing the j8,and sounds like I will try to bypass the starter cable too,but the starter is where I think my problem will be.It gets hot and then it slows down,after an hour it spins fast for a couple dozen revolutions again and slows down and is pretty hot to the touch.Do you know if the rebuild parts are available anywhere still?Joe you have been a huge help,I am new to outboards,my other boat is a jet boat with a small block chevy engine ,very common,I have a lot of learning to do if I am going to keep this thing running .Thanks again, Mike "

Back