Logo

Compression check XP 150

rnd2g

I have an Evinrude XP 150 with

I have an Evinrude XP 150 with compression between the 90's and 100. Is this good or bad? I just bought this engine used with a 24" raker prop on it and it is getting a hot warning horn when I go up in power. I can only get 4300 rpm out of it. Does anyone have any ideas?

"Robert,

That is definitely

"Robert,

That is definitely low compression. Maybe the head gaskets are burned real bad. That would be better that worn rings.

Tony"

Is this the reason I'm onl

Is this the reason I'm only getting 4300 Rpm and getting a hot warning horn or is it the 24" prop.

"Robert, A 24" prop is pre

"Robert, A 24" prop is pretty tall. What kind and weight boat do you have it on? My '98 Johnson 150 is on a 21' (2800#) boat, and uses a 17" pitch prop. I am testing to see if a 19" prop is more appropriate. You might check the thermostats and waterpump for proper operation."

"Chris, thanks for the input.

"Chris, thanks for the input. I have an old 17.5 ft. Astroglass and I thought it would run great with a 150 and a large prop. , since it had a 115 on it before. I feel pretty dumb about props now.Wouldn't people who work around boats and engines all the time have a good Idea where to start matching props, boats, and engines? I'm even beginning to think the shop that sold me the engine is playing a joke on me. I'm now beginning to think the prop is way to big. I just want something dependable to fish out of. I also think that the engine is really laboring trying to turn the 24" Raker. Is this the probable cause for the overheating?"

It could be the cause for the

It could be the cause for the overheat. You could also have a worn impeller. I would try a 19"-21" pitch prop on that boat and see if the RPMs are up and the heat is down. What prop did you use on the 115HP? An inch or two up from that prop is likely in the ball park.

I had a 17" pitch on the 1

I had a 17" pitch on the 115 HP. I took the boat back to the place I bought the motor and I should know something by Friday. I think they are going to run it at the lake and see what its doing. They offered up the usual causes we've been discussing but have no real solutions yet.

Back