Logo

No Oil Warning

wdashley64

I have a 150 hp Johnson outboa

I have a 150 hp Johnson outboard. When I took it out yesterday I got a "no oil" warning along with the warning horn going off for about 20 secs.

I had a similar problem about 2 months ago and tightened all of the connections on the oil line.

Yesterday the problem seemed to be associated with a fuel leak. I say this because each time I would get the warning I would check the primer bulb and it would seem to lose pressure.

Would a fuel leak give me a no oil warning light?

"(VRO Horn Warnings)

"(VRO Horn Warnings)
(J. Reeves)

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.

Note that the every other 20 second type warning is simply a low oil level pertaining to the oil tank (1/4 level), not No Oil.

The fuel primer bulb does not stay hard when the engine's running. Those bulbs are usually horizontal or close to it and the fuel level will drop down to the halfway mark (normal). THe only way they would stay full would be if it was attached to the boat in some manner whereas it would be, and stay, perfectly vertical."

Mine beeps constant for 15-20

Mine beeps constant for 15-20 seconds along with a no oil light on the speedometer. Mine has both a low oil and a no oil light

"Okay.... You didn't list

"Okay.... You didn't list a model number or the year of your 150hp and I took your post to be a older engine. I also misread your explanation about the 20 seconds. One of those days when tiredness takes over and I was thinking along the lines of a beep every 20 seconds. My apologies.

Since I retired before that engine came into being, I'll back out of this thread so as not to conflict with replies from other members that would be knowledgeable of your problem."

"A fuel 'leak' will no

"A fuel 'leak' will not give a no-oil ight and horn.....since u are havine prob's w/both fuel and oil,..i would say its time for a new OMS fuel/oil pump.This is not a 'plug-and play' deal...oil usage,warnings must be verified after installation...my recommendation,is to have a good boat shop ck it out and repair.."

Back