Logo

Exhaust Manifold and Riser Question

lee42lee

I am installing a new engine i

I am installing a new engine in my boat and when I went to install the manifold I noticed a lot of rust come out of the water ports. Can I send these to a radiator shop and have them cleaned?

"If you are installing a NEW e

"If you are installing a NEW engine as your post suggests, it would be false ecconomy to install suspect exhaust manifold/s for obvious reasons.

But the question needs to be asked. Is this your boat and do you intend to keep it, in which case the answer would be. Chuck the manifolds and put new ones.

If you are not keeping it and want to bring it to saleable condition and pass maintenance issues to the new owner, clean existing manifold/s as best.

Maybe you can take it to a radiator guy, and I think they use hot caustic. But I have successfully cleaned many marine manifolds of rust scale using dilute muriatic acid. Which is the same stuf bricklayers use o clean brickwork."

"If you know for sure that the

"If you know for sure that the manifods are in good condition, you will probably save some money by taking them to a radiator shop and "boiling" them. Personally, I think that if a manifold is internally corroded and you don't know its history, it is a waste of money to try to chemically clean it, as you never know whether or not it will work afterwards (and for how long).

In any case, I would install new manifolds and risers with a new engine."

Back