Logo

6v53 runs hot

dirkvr

"I have a DD 6v53 turbocharged

"I have a DD 6v53 turbocharged, it is in a 1949 bus that I have restored. I realize this is a marine engine discussion forum but you guys are experts on these motors and not many people out there know them. I'm trying to add an engine oil cooler. One mechanic suggested plumbing off of the top of the oil filter. I tried that and immediatly lost oil pressure. Any suggestions where to plumb into? Much appreciated, Dirk."

WHY WHOULD YOU WANT TO TO INST

WHY WHOULD YOU WANT TO TO INSTALL A OIL COOLER WHEN THE ENGINE HAS ONE ON IT.

"That's my point exactly,

"That's my point exactly, my engine runs hot because it doesn't have an oil cooler. I have a sizeable radiator but my oil temp goes through the roof when I climb a hill, engine is working hard speed is reduced, airflow is reduced. So I need to install a cooler. Trust me, there is not one on the engine. I have a tranny cooler but it's the engine oil temp which concerns me."

"Add the cooler inline in the

"Add the cooler inline in the hose that runs to or from the oil filter. If the cooler has the same AN fittings as the filter, you may get away with only buying only one more hose assembly."

"Here's the problem the fi

"Here's the problem the filter is on the block with a spin on cartridge, just like any passenger car. My only option may be to find a spin on adapter that relocates the filter to a remote location and then to plumb in the cooler behind the filter in the return line. One option may be to come off of the oil pressure sending unit and then return to the pan, but I don't know if that will decrease oil pressure."

Back