Logo

Frustrated

usamarshal

"I have a quick question about

"I have a quick question about my 1992 200hp Evinrude XP outboard. I just completed putting on all the seals and hoses, along with replacing the power pack, plugs, and plug wires. My buddy and I set the timing the best we could, huge difference, and found that the engine really hauls *** in full throttle. But I have an issue that I want to address and get corrected if I can. I do have the OMC manual, but I'm kinda stuck here. My problem is this:
The boat idles fine, but once you put it in forward or reverse, going at a slow speed, the engine cuts off or acts like its going to cut off. I have to press in the choke in order for the engine to not cut off. I'm not sure if this is a fuel problem, maybe possibly a fuel pump or the fuel lines within the engine? Maybe a carb problem? Anyone have any ideas or where I can start to see what the problem is?"

You need to bump up the idle s

You need to bump up the idle speed. It should run at 650-700rpm in gear.

You will find like 1000rpm giv

You will find like 1000rpm give or take a few 100 in nuetral. When you put in gear ( load the motor ) it should now run at 650-700rpm.

Be sure Your shift interrupt s

Be sure Your shift interrupt switch does not stay engaged! (Black switch on shift arm where You connect shift-cable at engine).

Back