Logo

2000 225 FICHT Check Engine Code

mako285

"I own a pair of 2000 225 FICH

"I own a pair of 2000 225 FICHT and got a "check engine" light offshore.

Check Engine on @ 4000 RPM, I brought the motor to idle and turned off the engine. Restarted with no light and ran up to 4000 RPM and 10 minutes later Check Engine light on again, brought to idle, turned off engine and restarted. Sea water temp was 76'F. Ran up to 4000 RPM for another 15 minutes and NO Check Engine. Trolled at 1200 RPM for 2 hours then ran home at 4000 RPM for two hours, NO Check Engine.

Did the manual check to determine the code which was -- 46 -- BP sensor above range. Any idea what this is and what and what is required??

Any info would be appreciated."

"Without haveing the manual an

"Without haveing the manual and codes in front of me, it seems to say: Barometric pressure above expected range. This sensor is built into the ECM. Turn it up side down and You may notice a rubber hose coming out, cut flush.
Most probably a sensor fault, but nothing You can do! Tecnically IF a correct reading, You must have had overpressure under the cowling! A small possibility (very) dirt in the hose has blocked from venting/reading outside pressure. Due to heat encrease, pressure will go up and give the reading."

"The reason for the 'nead&

"The reason for the 'nead' of reading the barometric pressure is to be able to 'autocorrect' for eventuel high altitude running. When/if the sensor fails, the value will be 'set' to a std reading. If You operate at sea level, there will be no problem, just the anoying alarm for 30 sec and the light. Check engine lights will not initiate SLOW and You may normally be able to keep on running. However it is advisable to check as soon as possible, as You did. If caused by water in fuelfilter, it might be serious dammage if You continue."

"I checked the hose from the E

"I checked the hose from the EMM which leads to a diaphragm, then from there another hose which leads to the bottom of the block near the exhaust port. Pulled the hose off the fitting to check if it may have been clogged, nothing. Backed the fitting out and it's not a "pass thru" fitting. There is about a 3/4" solid length extending into the exhaust -- what purpose is this?? What does this sense??"

"I think You are onto the Exha

"I think You are onto the Exhaust Backpressure sensor.
If not mistaken the barometric pressure sensor is behind the plate at the back of the ECM.
However something is far back in my memmory telling me it is the same sensor. At start up it reads the barometric pressure,(altitude correction) then keeps track of the exhaust back pressure.
Might need to have this confirmed."

"I checked with my mechanic, I

"I checked with my mechanic, I think you are correct. He told me to check that tube as well which led from the EMM to the diaphragm and into the block. I was surprised at the type of fitting I found -- no pass thru."

Back