Logo

85 Bayliner Capri Engine Help

lil_sarge

"Just bought a 85 Bayliner Cap

"Just bought a 85 Bayliner Capri 18'8" open bow boat. I really don't know what I bought mechanically wise. Need help telling me exactly what I got and things to look for ahead. Grew up boating with my old man so I know the basics. Got this boat for $2,000 yesterday. Supposed to run but hasn't been out for 3 years. Bought it from a very nice older couple that can't use anymore. Was tuned up/oil change/serviced in 2003 but not taken out since the service. I have no engine paperwork as to tell me exactly what model it is. I got a block numer: B230M 01515. Don't know if its a AQ120, 125, or 140 and if it's "A or B". Engine and boat are really clean. It is an I/O with a Volvo 280 out drive whatever that means. I don't want to start up until I research the do's and don't of both starting and starting after sitting for so long. Mainly looking for answers at what engine model I have but any assistance from you pro's will be much appreciated."

"B230M probably stands for B23

"B230M probably stands for B230 Marine block, which points toward an AQ151. However, the AQ151 came packaged with 290 outdrives, which means that either the engine is not original or I got something wrong.

Check for a brass plate in the engine block, in the area where the starter is attached (refer to picture), it should tell you which package you have.

71011.jpg
"

"Thanks for the reply. Ok I t

"Thanks for the reply. Ok I thought I looked everywhwere on the engine. Found the brass plate. Thanks for the picture. So, I found I have a AQ125B which should be 120hp. From your point of view is this engine along with the 280 outdrive a decent family boat. Just looking at easy weekend boating trip to the area lakes with some fishing and some waterskiing. Thanks again for the reply. It is much appreciated."

"I think you've got a dece

"I think you've got a decent package. The outdrive is virtually indestructible and the engine, if it has been running in fresh water, should be in very good condition other than normal wear and tear.

I hope your boat will give you many years of enjoyment. However, I would recommend that you buy the Seloc and/or Clymer manual for your engine/outdrive, as they contain valuable information and they are virtually indispensable if you want to conduct your own engine/outdrive repairs and perform normal troubleshooting."

Back