Logo

Steering Lever on Bravo 1

nvivion

"I have what I think is excess

"I have what I think is excessive movement in my steering lever. In other words, I can move it some fraction of an inch before it engages the square drive shaft in the Gimbal, or, it moves about a half inch from overall from port to starboard. What should the tolerance be? Is there a way to tighten without drilling the drive or pulling the engine? What are my options?"

"If you're sure the lever

"If you're sure the lever is moving and not the shaft, then you MIGHT be able to get a couple of 9/16" wrenches in from behind the engine to tighten up the lever. You may need to be a contortionist. More likely though, you'll have to drill the big holes in the transom to get a socket and wrench on the bolt. Buy the plug kit 22-88847a-1 it has the instructions and is not expensive."

"Boy do I feel like a dummy. A

"Boy do I feel like a dummy. After further scrutiny the transom plate has been drilled and tapped. However, I had to destroy the plugs to get them out and to compound the issue, the holes do not line up with the bolt no matter of how I turn the outdrive. I'm thinking about going to a transom mounted steering cylinder but have yet to locate a very informative source. Does anybody have ideas?"

Turn the outdrive to one side.

Turn the outdrive to one side. Put in a 5/8 box end wrench in on nut. Put 5/8 socket on other nut at hole and tighten.

Back