Logo

Spring commisioning question

mattyb

"started up my engine a couple

"started up my engine a couple weeks ago thinking the weather was finally going to break. Obviously it didnt and my engine is no longer winterized. That being said, I drained all water out of the manifolds and block. Would you say i'm safe for now or should i take any other precautions so i dont crack the block?"

"Matt:
Did you disconnect t

"Matt:
Did you disconnect the engine circ. pump hose at the pump? It holds alot of water. One gallon of antifreeze is too cheap to insure it doesn't freeze on you. Drain the pump hose, reconnect it, disconnect the same hose at the T'stat and pour in a gallon of the pink stuff.

You'll sleep better especially when the weatherman predicts a possible freeze. Here in SW Ohio it has been in the mid 20s F. for the last 3 nights with no change predictied for several days. It was 75 F. a week ago and I left my boat winterized based upon the forecast; glad I did.
Guy"

"guy, no i didnt. I only drain

"guy, no i didnt. I only drained both manifolds which had alot of water and both block drains which also had a bit. It was in the 60's for a week and a half straight so i figured winter was over. The marina even called and said my slip was ready for whenever i want to launch. Now we got this cold weather in the 40's and dropping to about 29-30 at night. It's unpredictable in New England"

"Matt:
"both block drains

"Matt:
"both block drains which also had a bit". If you are saying not much, then I'll ask if you opened the block drains all the way and probed the openings with a 4" wire? Block water stream should have been strong for about 15 to 45 seconds. If it dribbled out then there is rust and dirt in the drain holes--try again.

To drain the circ. pump and then add antifreeze at one time, just disconnect the WP hose at the T'Stat and bend it downward to drain. Now hold it upright and pour in 1/2 gal. of the pink stuff full strength and reconnect. Put a 1/4 gallon into each hose to the exhaust mans.
Guy"

"Guy, actually it did have qui

"Guy, actually it did have quite a bit of water. one side dide drain good but the other side drained slowly so i stuck a coat hanger in there and it drained good. As far as the other things, after easter lunch, i'll get to it. thanks 4 your help"

Back