Logo

Repower 37 with 30

T

Tim B.

"I am thinking about replacing

"I am thinking about replacing a tired 27 yr. old 3.7 with a brand new 3.0 package. I read the new engine has about the same power.It is for a 20 ft. Skipjack about 3000 lbs.My current compression is 95, 113, 105, 110. Does this sound like a good idea? Or should I go 4.3 liter.I am into fishing and cruising, not water skiing."

"Tim:

I prefer a Vortec 4

"Tim:

I prefer a Vortec 4.3L engine lumbering along rather than have a smaller engine working its self to death. Besides, you will have the extra HP just in case. I have a 1987 Baretta 19' (3,200 lbs.) with a 1996 remanufactured 4.3L (non-Vortec) and it packs a punch when needed while still easy on the fuel consumption.

A 4.3L w/4BBL would be an overall economical package. An EFI 4.3L is very a good package for total service but most expensive of the two.

It all comes down to the service it will provide you for the money you are willing to spend. Ask yourself "How long do I want to keep my 27 year old Skipjack?". If the boat is in great condition, it probably is worth it. Consider the most economical repower; a remanufactured 3.7L longblock.

Guy

Guy"

"Ayuh,..... I Agree,.....

T

"Ayuh,..... I Agree,.....

The 3.0l is Way Down on HP compared to either the 470, or the 4.3l....

The 3.0l needs the 2:1 gear ratio outdrive,+ the 470,+ the 4,3l will run the 1.84:1 ratio outdrive.....

If you've got the Space for a V-motor,....
That's what I'd do....."

"Get ahold of me for a new set

"Get ahold of me for a new setup. I can get them, and would sell it near cost. 419-836-8195 Joe"

Back