Logo

Leg Lift Mercruiser 165

bojangle

"My leg is really slow to come

"My leg is really slow to come up. Could be low on fluid, but for the life of me I can't find a reservoir. Any ideas ?"

Not sure about your applicatio

Not sure about your application but the reservoir on mine is actually part of the trim motor itself.

I had one of those old trim pu

I had one of those old trim pumps that was slow on my 165 inline 6. I went ahead and bought a new trim pump. Best decision I ever made. It's 100% better than that old slow thing.

The trim motor sits atop the r

The trim motor sits atop the reservoir. The reservoir is filled via a screw in the top.

If low on oil it usually makes a gurgling sound.

Other than that it could be a slow or faulty motor or the pump itself. Or maybe bad rams.

"Is the motor that lifts the l

"Is the motor that lifts the leg up and down called a trim pump ? I know the pump for the trim tabs sits on top of a reservoir, but the one that runs the hyraulics that actually lifts and lowers the leg.
Graham , what does your motor usually run at as far as water temp ?"

"There is a possibility of slu

"There is a possibility of sludge build up in the bottom of your trim pump depending how old it is and how good in general that your hydraulic system is.
If you have the early model pumps which look a bit like an electric motor bolted to a square shaped resivor (because thats what they are). They are easily serviced and from my experiance can make the world of difference when it comes to lift speed.
A good clean out, the right grade of new oil and properly bleed the system and you may be surprised at the difference.
Regards
Peter C"

Back