Logo

Repower

"Hello out there. I need some

"Hello out there. I need some help. I recently purchased a 1999 Regal 2100LSR Bowrider. It has a 5.0L Merc in it now but I have discoverd that the block is cracked. I have decided that I would like to upgrade the engine to a 5.7 Vortec MPI. My dilema is to either purchase a Merc long block and then locate a used MPI system or, I have located a used Marine Power 5.7 MPI complete, ready to bolt in. It was removed from a Hamilton drive jet boat. Can anyone help with some advice as to which path would be the most cost effective and less difficult?

Thanks"

".."My dilema is to either

".."My dilema is to either purchase a Merc long block and then locate a used MPI system or, I have located a used Marine Power 5.7 MPI complete, ready to bolt in."

Huh? Have you located one or not? If so, bolt it the heck in!

Jeff"

"Thanks Jeff. I must add that

"Thanks Jeff. I must add that I am new to boating aa this is my first boat. Could you please expand on what problems I may encounter to re-power (Marine Power) this boat?

Thanks, Chad"

"You'll need to get an inc

"You'll need to get an inch or two of pitch added to the prop, and get all the stuff properly attached. THe usual....

Jeff"

"Are You a Mechanic Chad,..??.

"Are You a Mechanic Chad,..??....
Are You going to do the Swap,..??....

"and get all the stuff properly attached."

That Could be abit of an Issue,......
Kinda like trying to install a Ford motor in a Chevy.........
I'd Think that Marine Power,+ Mercruiser Probably use slightly different Wiring, Plumbing, Etc......."

Thanks for the responses. I&#3

Thanks for the responses. I'm just wondering which is the better ay of going. Marine Power or stick with Merc and convert a 5.7 Vortec to a 350Mag?

Lots more noise. The marine p

Lots more noise. The marine police (and the public) are getting pissed at all that racket. Tickets will be written some day for noisy boats.

Jeff

"[b]"Are there any perform

""Are there any performance increas values for the installation of through the hull exhaust? Value for the $$$ ?"

Nope,...........
Not unless you have True exhaust Headers 1st......"

Just completed the repower. It

Just completed the repower. It's taken almost 4 months. Had a local shop do it. They say they have worked on plenty of MP applications. The latest issue though is the ECM. It's been to Marine Power 2x for programing for the shift interupt and the idle speed setting. They still haven't got the idle speed correct. It is too high for safe shift engagement. I'm really starting to doubt the expertise and/or product support from Marine Power. Has anyone else had this much difficulty with them?

Back