Logo

JB Weld or better for aluminum repair

B

Bill K.

"buddy stripped out a bolt on

"buddy stripped out a bolt on his motor he also has a aq131a, he thought he could fix it with these sticks called allumalloy or something like that but he couldn't ever get the block hot enough to melt the sticks (I was laughing at him the whole time (2hrs later)) anyways is there something like JB weld for aluminum? ohh yea it was on of the bolts that hold the thermostat in.. another thing he drilled the hole out so big that there is no way to just retap it alittle bigger.. Please help before he puts something in there that will just make things worse"

"can't do either one of th

"can't do either one of those hole is too big and too close to the edge for heli-coil and its part of the block so no replacing the part.. I just need something that I can put in the hole and then drill and tap it, but it needs to be able to bond to aluminum and the temps of the block.."

"What about removing the head

"What about removing the head from the engine and taking it to a welding shop to TIG weld the hole?

Since you are talking about "aluminum", I assume the hole has been drilled in the head, not in the block."

El you are right it is in the

El you are right it is in the head the top bolt hole for the thermostat housing.. I think he wants to try some JB weld first before taking the head off and going through all of that.. By the way ordered the pertronix for my boat should be here by the end of the week..

"Bill, I think he will be wast

"Bill, I think he will be wasting his time with the JB Weld. My first solution would have been installing a heli-coil insert (as Scott suggested). But since you said this is a no-go, I think that - other than TIG-welding the hole - there are few other reliable repairs your buddy can do to that head."

"I agree with both of you on t

"I agree with both of you on this but my buddy Kevin on the other hand he is alittle hard headed sometimes, So I thank yall for your help and when his Idea fails (which it will) Ill be stuck helping him tear his motor down to fix it right.."

"Hello there,

What I would

"Hello there,

What I would do, is tap the hole with the smallest possible thread, I realize that this will be much bigger than the original. I would buy an aluminum rod and thread it to fit into hole, or you can use a bolt. Install it into the hole with permanent locktite, drill another hole in the center of this insert and then cut the desired threads for the thermostat bolots.

It is cheaper than removing the head

Good luck"

"well he fixed the hole and be

"well he fixed the hole and believe it or not he got those sticks to work and it is as strong as before he stripped it out, he just didn't clean around the hole well enough, he cleaned it with a stainless steel brush and some muriatic acid and it heated right up, he said it took him about 20 to 30 minutes.. yall need to check this website out might just save you some money in the future... http://www.aluminumrepair.com/"

"Last week, I cross threaded o

"Last week, I cross threaded one of the two horizontal pivot bolts on the steering helmet (SP-C drive). This was because the helmet did not line up exactly with the fork. No matter how I tried, could not get the steering fork to line up with the helmet. The helmet was removed and I filled the original threaded hole with "aluminum" solder from Wendon Research. Used MAPP gas to achieve melt quickly. A machine shop charged me 15 bucks to drill and tap a new hole slightly off center from the original to achieve alinement with the fork. Installed and it works well. The solder is stronger than any aluminum. However, I don't know if galvanic effect will come into play. I doubt it, though."

Back